Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 351w and replaced the intake manifold, oil pan, valve covers and valve cover gaskets. I siliconed most of my oil pan and valve cover gaskets as well. All brand new gaskets. Now I'm blowing major white smoke off my headers and leaving behind 3" oil spots under the motor after a half an hour of running.

Where is this oil coming from?
Head gaskets?

Please help!!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Why don't you run your finger around the gaskets you replaced and see where the oil is coming from? My guess is valve cover gaskets. but it's a guess.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you run your finger around the gaskets you replaced and see where the oil is coming from? My guess is valve cover gaskets. but it's a guess.
That was the first thing I checked, good suggestion though I was really hoping it would be that easy. I have rubber gaskets lined with silicone on each side of the gasket on the valve covers. They do a great job now.

What else could it be? When I take off I see a large cloud of whiteish smoke behind me. It's not coming out of my exhaust either.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
pcv came out of grommet behind intake

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
are you 100% sure your valve covers are tight and not leaking? can you see the source of the oil at all by trying to wipe it all down with degreaser and then watch were it comes from

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you 100% sure your valve covers are tight and not leaking? can you see the source of the oil at all by trying to wipe it all down with degreaser and then watch were it comes from
I'm 100% sure that it's not the valve covers or the intake manifold.
Directly below the valve covers it's still bone dry, no oil to be seen.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
when the back of the intake leaks it ****in covers everything, runs along the lip of the oil pan. Clean it with break cleaner then drive the car hard and check again

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when the back of the intake leaks it ****in covers everything, runs along the lip of the oil pan. Clean it with break cleaner then drive the car hard and check again
I just ran it for 30 minutes to the store and back fairly hard after cleaning the back of the block and the back of intake manifold with degreaser. It seems to be nearly 100% dry. I took a paper towel to it after it cooled down and there was maybe a dime size of oil on the entire paper towel

My Oil Pan has a cork gasket, could this be leaking? I can't see po; that getting on my headers from the oil pan though?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Both headers or just one? Maybe blowing up from a leak near the oil filter, timing cover, or the pressure sending unit?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both headers or just one? Maybe blowing up from a leak near the oil filter, timing cover, or the pressure sending unit?
Drivers side header only, near the back two pistons (7 & 8 to be exact).
At idle there is no smoke, when i give it gas and get it above 2,000 rpm there is a lot of white smoke.
I think that it might be my anti-freeze due to a bad head gasket? There is still oil on the ground though.
I can here a sort of splattering noise.

I just burnt my finger on the header too. **** that smarts! :0

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
So the smoke is coming from something burning on the outside of your header at above 2k RPM? Positive it's not coming from your tails, correct?

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the smoke is coming from something burning on the outside of your header at above 2k RPM? Positive it's not coming from your tails, correct?

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge?
Most defiantly on the outside of the header. When I look underneath the car while someone else holds the throttle there is no smoke coming from the exhaust pipes.

I have no pressure gauge at the moment, just a plugged oil pressure line. :/

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
What like an old nylon line from a previous gauge? Is it possible that cracked somewhere and is spraying on to the header? .. do you know the difference in smell between coolant burning and oil burning? If there's oil on the ground and not coolant, I would believe it's oil shooting out from somewhere and not coolant. Easy way to verify this would be to pull the belt so the water pump isn't spinning and rev it again and see if you still get smoke. Obviously keep an eye on your temp gauge if you're going to try that and only do it for few seconds. But no pressure in your cooling system and still smoke will tell you for sure that the smoke and the puddle underneath the car are both oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What like an old nylon line from a previous gauge? Is it possible that cracked somewhere and is spraying on to the header? .. do you know the difference in smell between coolant burning and oil burning? If there's oil on the ground and not coolant, I would believe it's oil shooting out from somewhere and not coolant. Easy way to verify this would be to pull the belt so the water pump isn't spinning and rev it again and see if you still get smoke. Obviously keep an eye on your temp gauge if you're going to try that and only do it for few seconds. But no pressure in your cooling system and still smoke will tell you for sure that the smoke and the puddle underneath the car are both oil.
Yes it has an old nylon line. It doesn't look cracked, wouldn't I see it squirting out of the line? Plus it's in the front of the block and the smoke is coming from the back.

Keep the idea's coming!

pinhole power steering leak squirting?
The owner before me removed the power steering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts