Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the chance to get a 5.8l 351w cobra r motor for 2500. im pretty sure i come with most the acessories. has anyone done this swap and is it easY? will i have to replace my tranny and get a built rear end for this motor? thx

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You can go a lot faster if you put that 2500 into your 302. The 351 is heavier, has a heavier rotating assembly, and GT-40 heads. That money could go towards a nice aftermarket HCI for your 302 that will make more power, accelerate faster, and be lighter. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a stock stroke 351 with GT-40 parts ever.

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
^+1

I would definitely go and spend that 2500 on a decent HCI on the 302, or even just some GT40 heads and a used blower setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where is the car to go with the motor?
How do you know it came out of a cobra R.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
I find it hard to believe it's from a cobra r considering the limited amount made..

Ya never know though.. Would be a cool swap but money can be spent better

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the guy builds mustangs and he had a couple of the blocks lying around. My frd just put one into his fox body. i was thinking about the heads. but wouldnt i make more power putting heads in the 351w overall?
i was planning on getting afr 185 heads.. what do u think

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Good heads on a 351 will make more power than on a 302, but 2500 is way too much money for a stock stroke 351 engine. If you are going to spend the money on heads too anyways, then look for a stroker 351 shortblock. You can find them used for 2500. A 408 with a set of highports or AFR 225's will make a lot more power and will cost you about the same as getting that engine and putting 185's on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts