Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I've been lurking for a while and I've finally decided to register and ask some questions.

I have a 68 Coupe w/ a numbers matching 289. For the past year or so I've been working on rebuilding a 351w that I plan to swap in. The block is dated 1984. Am I going to run into any issues with a newer block? Most of what I read people are using early 70's blocks.

I'm at the point where the engine is almost ready to drop in. I've got the heads and roller rockers bolted on and I'm starting to work on getting the alternator and power steering pump in place. I had a few questions first.

1.) The current setup I have is using a timing chain cover and water pump from a 1984 351w. This means I have the water outlet on the drivers side instead of the passenger side like later model 351w's did. Is this going to be a problem for me? If so is my best bet to pick up a 1969 timing chain cover + water pump?
2.) What am I going to have to do to get my 289's alternator and power steering pump to fit? I found these two bracket adapters (I will link in the second post. The forum wont let me post links in my first post ever, haha) Will these work for me or are these for later model 351w's?

I'm a bit new to rebuilding engines and swaps like this so any advice feel free to throw at me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try using your 289's water pump and timing chain cover. I know those will swap over to a 302 of any year just fine, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the 351. Its the same engine family so I would think so, but there are enough other differences for me to be uncertain.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A lot if it will depend on what your 351w came out of. I just got a 1979 351w into my 65 coupe, and it came out of an F-150.

The first issue I had was an oil pan. The oil pan for truck and van 351w is a rear sump, and the mustang is going to require a front sump pan. The motor I had utilized a sump mounted oil dipstick, but I was unable to find a front sump with an oil dipstick. I wound up drilling a hole for a dipstick in my timing cover and buying an aftermarket dipstick. If your 289 timing cover has a dipstick hole, you can use that because they will change out (or at least they should, I'm using a 1983 302 timing cover.) and FYI the 289 oil sump will not swap over.

Regarding the issue of the water pump outlet, that will depend on what you are using from the 289 and what you are using from the 351w. Based on your comments above (and your other post), it looks like you want to use the 289 alternator and power steering pump, along with the 289 brackets. If that is that case you will need to use a water pump that matches your current setup. If you decide to use the brackets that came with your 351w, then you will need a water pump with a drivers side exit. This will require a new radiator, or at the very least some creative hose work to get back to your current radiator.

You will need to think about your crank pulley as well, the crank pulley on my 351w had one V-belt groove and one serpentine belt groove. If your 289 had a 4-bolt crank pulley, you can swap it, if not you will be looking for a new crank pulley.

289 distributor will not work in a 351w either, and unless you have the wiring diagram and ignition box for the original 351 dizzy, you might want to consider an aftermarket dizzy that only requires one or two wires. I wasted an entire Saturday trying to figure how to splice into the ignition module that went with my stock dizzy before giving up and buying a 1 wire setup.

If you like your 289 cam better than your 351w cam, you can swap them out, you just have to adjust the firing order to take this into account.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts