Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good engine?

I had another thread on this but the thread's 2nd page doesn't work... so i can't see anymore on the subject... but anyway

I went to a junkyard and found a fuel injected 5.0, a carb 351W, and a carb 460. All 250 Ea. completely assembled... they start it in front of ya if you want to buy it.

Neways, as I was tellin my dad about the engines (our original plan was to build a chevy 350, cuz chevy engines are cheaper to build then fords) he said that the 351W engines are junk... and I should get a 351C if i'm even thinkin about gettin a 351.

Any input? whats my best options?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i always post stuff like this in v6 sect... ill eventually remember, dont hate me lol

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
351w is a great engine the Cleavland is a bit stronger and better flowing, best bet IMO is a 351w with Cleavland heads, but if it is going in your stang keep it efi

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naw not in the stang. plans 2 build a carb engine, and buy an old car 2 drop it in.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ya a 351w is great motor.....i wouldnt put clevland heads on it though i would get some dart heads....they have some really nice heads...but anyways...if you really put some time and money into it (about 8k) you can get 620hp na

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
dude honestly buy a fox
you are going to have to change EVERYTHING but the body on that car
computer
ENTIRE fuel system
radiator
soooo much more

its a badass motor but theres a line of **** to do on that
the motor may be cheap
the extra parts are not!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on what car? im not putting the 351 in my mustang. it'd be going in a pre-80's car

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Iv'e recently bought a 351w that came out of a 95' ford van. It has the roller cams and the engine builder I was talking to said a 393 stroker kit with victor jr. heads and intake could get you around 600hp. Assuming you are using an o/r exhaust and a good cam setup. I am currently looking for an old 50's truck to put it in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 351W is the stoutest of the bunch, you have to try really, really hard to break one. They can be stroked out safely to about 427, so plenty of room to have fun with. The best combo I've seen H/C/I = AFR 220's/custom COMP cam/Weiand Stealth.

Hot Rod magazine built a 351W for about 7,000 bucks that made 650HP on pump gas. I'll try and find the article for ya.

·
Registered
297 Posts
well I can't find the article online. It was in Hot Rod magazine, I think the summer of '06. it's called Mouse Killer, I've always wanted to try it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts