Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am currently on the lookout for a 3g alternator. I know they came on 94-95 mustangs but did they come in v6's as well or just the 5.0's? Also, are they the same amps? Thanks

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
do you need to rewire it or will it hook right up to our 5.0's?

·
Registered
627 Posts
you just need to run a power wire from the alternator to your battery and put a fuse or circuit breaker on it. you also need to shave the alternator bracket a little bit to clear the 3g alternator. there is a lot of write ups online

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
are they usually pretty cheap from a j/y?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
wow, alright this sounds great, this summer im definitely picking one up

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
some are threaded, but i cant remember which one though

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
is there anything to check for to make sure its good when you pull it?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
^ most junk yards have a week warranty or you can pay a little more and get a month warranty, well that's the way it is last time i went. The key is to not to buy a part and then wait along time before you install it. So when you buy a 3g alt, install it right away, that way you can return it if it doesn't work....Also alot of junk yards will mark a part that you buy will some sort of paint pen, showing that it was from there junk yard.....dont wipe that mark off until you know it works.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
alright that makes sense, this plus the v6 maf will be nice j/y pick ups

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
^^^good point, i didnt think of that

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
didnt even think of that either thats perfect

·
Registered
842 Posts
dap, look for a car that still has the hood on it or at least doint look like it's been sitting with no hood for a long time. spin the pully on the alt. i can spin mine, and it will continue to spin on it's own for a retarded amount of time. this is a good indicator that you found a good one.
also you need to clip of the plug you will need part of it. doint run it through the stock wiring. i used 4 gage welding cable for my charge wire(from alt to selanoid).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
alright thanks, i wont be getting to this until summer but this is super helpful

1 - 17 of 17 Posts