Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of the sleek simple looking exterior on cars so I am going to be removing the wing on my 2000 GT and having the holes filled with fiberglass and repainting the trunk lid and I was just thinking about removing the third brake light and fiberglassing that over while I'm at it but I have never seen this done before. I think it will be a rather subtle exterior mod that not everyone will notice but someone who knows mustang would notice and appreciate. What do you guys think? Is it worth the trouble to do this? If it has been done before can someone post pictures of it?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
It would be unique but also kinda illegal lol
I'm sure it can be done but why not just shave your trunk key hole instead? Personally I like our 3rd brake lamps.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks really good with the third brake light shaved. Why would it be illegal? Not all cars have 3rd brake lights, or do they and I just never noticed it?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Anything manufactured after a certain year has them. It is also illegal to remove a factor installed brake light. What you could do is relocate it to inside the cabin at the top of the rear glass. This would keep you legal and allow u to shave the trunk

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Just about all cars have 3rd brake lamps since they're mandated by law, manufactures are pretty good at concealing them these days though. Personally I really like the LED ones off of Cadillacs and some Nissans. Some supercars have tail lights that strobe since they can stop so quickly with those massive brakes :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So maybe shaving the brake light won't happen. I wonder if a cop would actually give me trouble about not having one but either way it would be a problem for inspection. Maybe I'll just fill in the holes from removing the wing and the key hole since I don't ever use the key to open the trunk. My car is black so I can just tint the brake light pretty dark and it would give a cleaner look.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So maybe shaving the brake light won't happen. I wonder if a cop would actually give me trouble about not having one but either way it would be a problem for inspection. Maybe I'll just fill in the holes from removing the wing and the key hole since I don't ever use the key to open the trunk. My car is black so I can just tint the brake light pretty dark and it would give a cleaner look.
i still say shave it. and lower it. it will look very clean and very sexy

·
Registered
433 Posts
Its not the cops you need to worry about... Its when you get rear ended and the other person's insurance company comes to investigate your car and then all of the sudden its your fault! even though your third break light wouldnt have stopped them from rear ending you...

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
This is the next project that I am saving up for. I am removing the spoiler, 3rd brake, keyhole, GT emblem and the Ford Oval. Then fiberglassing over the holes and imperfections, and getting the trunk repainted. I am sticking the 3rd brake in the rear window - either on top near the roof line (like on the new Taurus) or sitting along the bottom (like the Fusion)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i still say shave it. and lower it. it will look very clean and very sexy
I think it will look great especially after I lower the car with no wing, brake light, or badges on the trunk. I also plan on taking all badges and emblems off the car and possibly shaved side scoops when I have the money to repaint the whole car. Going for the super clean look on the exterior.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Its not the cops you need to worry about... Its when you get rear ended and the other person's insurance company comes to investigate your car and then all of the sudden its your fault! even though your third break light wouldnt have stopped them from rear ending you...
Exactly, and insurance companies will find any little reason possible to put the blame on the claimant/other company.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the next project that I am saving up for. I am removing the spoiler, 3rd brake, keyhole, GT emblem and the Ford Oval. Then fiberglassing over the holes and imperfections, and getting the trunk repainted. I am sticking the 3rd brake in the rear window - either on top near the roof line (like on the new Taurus) or sitting along the bottom (like the Fusion)
Do you know what brake light you are going to use in the cabin? Are you going to use one from another car like a Taurus or Fusion or just whatever light you can get to work.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Knowing the way New Jersey is it is most likely illegal in this state but I don't know for sure seeing as I didn't even know they were mandated by law at all.

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
Do you know what brake light you are going to use in the cabin? Are you going to use one from another car like a Taurus or Fusion or just whatever light you can get to work.
Classic Design Concepts sells a light that mounts in the top of the window. It is their re-locator for the CDC Duck Tail spoiler. The wiring harness is compatible with the 99= Model year. I also took a look at my Mom's Taurus fixture and wiring system and I am confident that it would also work. The LED/clear look of the Taurus light is awesome.

Here is the CDC light -
Classic Design Concepts Ducktail Spoiler 3rd Brake Light Option

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Classic Design Concepts sells a light that mounts in the top of the window. It is their re-locator for the CDC Duck Tail spoiler. The wiring harness is compatible with the 99= Model year. I also took a look at my Mom's Taurus fixture and wiring system and I am confident that it would also work. The LED/clear look of the Taurus light is awesome.

Here is the CDC light -
Classic Design Concepts Ducktail Spoiler 3rd Brake Light Option
Looks like my dreams of a shaved brake light are back lol. Now I just need some money for this project, I was thinking of using this project as a chance to try my hand at some body work to hopefully save some money but the brake light shave might be a little difficult for a first timer to body work and fiber glass.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw a thread when searching about shaved side scoops earlier today and some people were saying to have the scoops shaved right a look good it could cost up to 1000 and add on the other work so you're looking at a good chunk of change.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts