Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today when me and girlfriend were going to lunch during school I was just having some fun and shift hard into 3rd and somehting happened...

it grinded so ****ing loud. the sound filled the entire car windows were down and all...

well now when I shift into 3rd gear ONLY past 4k RPMS does it grind. Its as smooth as glass through every gear, but that one.

Also when Im taking it easy and shifting at 2k rpms, its perfe tly fine....

any ideas on what this could be? Im thinking it could be a busted synchro or maybe clutch...

Also I have 53800 miles on my car if that helps

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock shifter...

how much would just a 3rd gear synchro be? this ****ing sucks...

my dad says hell check out it, but it never fails. hes asleep... at 5:30 PM!!!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jesus christ....

this cant be ****ing happening... I just bought this ****ing car 4 months ago and as soon as im about to have enough for longtubes, this ****ing happens...

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well ive been searching around and apparently they dont make a rebuild kit for the tr3650... only the tr3550 and so on...

correct me if im wrong...

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so my father finally got some time to help me diagnose this ****....

he did the entire downshift upshift and everything.. same things happened to him as did I...

well then he tried double clutching it and it didnt grind at all and he said that the synchros are good your clutch is just off and needs an adjustment

do you think it could be just as simple as a clutch adjustment and some new fluid?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Highly doubt it is a clutch issue, as it is only happening in a specific gear under a certain amount of stress.

Your third gear synchro is shot...happens all the time. On a good note, they are fairly cheap around $800 for a decent used one. Also, the install is fairly easy.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well i called a guy that works at the ford dealership who I know personally. Me and him are somewhat friends i guess you wouold say and he really is one the BEST mechanics around here. Professioanlly trained, college, the works

Anyway he said from the symptoms, the previous owners have dirven the car to **** and got rid of it right before things started to show. He said that taking the tranny off, rebuilding it, and reinstalling it would be anywhere from 8-12 hours. He said that Ford charges a $70 per hour labor fee, but hed cut me $35.

He also said that the entire thing will most likely not even cost under $600 for labor and kit. I was fearing $1000 in which case I do not have and wont have for some time, but I can come up with $750 in about a month with taxes coming back and a few other things. $750 because I plan on doing the clutch while its out...

****ing ruined my day...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's definitely the syncro, just had this issue fixed in mine sounds like you're getting a hella better deal than me, though.. now i just gotta fix this stock shifter:eek: lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those trannys are notorious for cracking the shift forks as well. I have had several just need the fork. When running a stock shifter, you will actually over engage the fork causing it to crack. Im not saying the syncro is not damaged as well but i would look at the forks good as well and buy a shifter when it goes back in

Sean

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so you guys are saying that a short throw shifter will actually HELP the tranny go under less work? I always thought that a short throw would cause the syncros to go under more work because they are having to move much faster...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just hope you don't have to replace or deal with the tranny with longtube headers. Mine is on jack stands right now as we speak, I am putting a slightly used cobra tranny in! agargrergesrgieurthyar8w7eyt!! PITA!!!!!

and get an mgw short throw shifter. it will help with everything from saving your tranny and gears to improving daily driving and time slips at the track.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
a short throw is going to extend the life of your tranny?

did i read that correctly?

I went through one in 2 months of having the car, i'm on 9 months now with the same one, i need to get a shifter if what you say is true!

·
Registered
638 Posts
a short throw is going to extend the life of your tranny?

did i read that correctly?

I went through one in 2 months of having the car, i'm on 9 months now with the same one, i need to get a shifter if what you say is true!
imo yeah. i broke my tranny because i missed third once in a while and shifted really really hard and fast. Well one time i missed hard, tried again and broke the fork. With the short shifter you wont miss third (if clutch is properly engaged obviously). The 2-3 shifts are the most brutal on a transmission, thats why a lot of people have numberous problems with 2nd 3rd (and probably 4th). A short throw can mitigate this strain. Im not saying its a guarantee its just my opinion... think about all the times you miss third-thats gotta hurt.

I have had a few compliments on my shifting, I thought I was such a bad ass and I didn't need a short throw. Take all this into consideration, I sure as hell did when i broke my tranny :) I bought myself an mgw

And btw if you powershift when racing or at WOT, i dont care what you do to try and prevent anything from happening, you're breaking something.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i never would try a powershift 2nd to 3rd ever... Im not that dumb...

Ill just ask my mechanic what his opinion on a short shifter would be and what the benfits and cons of em are.

All I know is that this ****ing sucks and I wanted to do longtubes, but now Im just giving up. Every damn time I get enoguh for the headers something goes bad or soemthing breaks. Im just ognna do an o/r X biolt it up and call it a day... im done with this...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts