Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son took his '02 Saleen to the strip last night and it would not shift into 3rd gear. All others fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could be a few things.

Synchros, bent shift fork, him just missing third cause he's got a lot of adrenaline going through him at the track.

Does it go into third fine now?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
if its a synchro it will still go in 3rd it will just grind. if it won't go into 3rd at all he's probably been banging the gears too hard and missed 3rd real bad and bent the shift fork. and as boost4me said, does it go in now? or just last night it wouldn't? he could have just been having trouble because he was trying to shift too fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone, he says he did bang 3rd. It willl go into gear but when he releases the clutch it pops back to neutral.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well the tranny has to come out completely. You might just want to get a rebuild kit from promotionpowertrain.com or another tranny company. This will beef it up a little for the next time he tries to kill the fork.

Just my suggestion, you could always have a new stock fork put back in it but you know as well as us that he's going to run it hard throughout the future too.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
My car will lock me out of 3rd as well sometimes. Very rare it happens but still happens.

he's better off getting a new trans or used one or rebuilt one. Seriously, once you account for labor, you just bought yourself a new trans almost. new trans are 1000ish and 1500 for a semi built one i think. I think i've been quoted around 800 to replace my syncros and thats just for labor. Shift forks should be the same labor cost.

But the 3650 trans just sucks in general so id take this opportunity and just buy a new trans that is semi Built(beefed up shift forks and syncros)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was just saying if he removed the trans himself. Maybe they know someone who rebuilds trans and could get a deal on it.

I agree though, a 700hp capable tranny you can find for 1200-1500. Just depends on what route you want to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts