Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to jump the gun on this, so I waited and tried again for three nights now. On the way to my place, there is a straight away that I normally open it up on. I have come to find out that if I downshift from any gear (typically 5th on this drive) into 2nd, 3rd gear is a promised miss. I've slowed the shift down to straight granny shifting and it still locks me out, but if I row 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc it's like butter...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
599 Posts
junk ass trans im fed up with dealing with this and ford to the point im about to take the money from this and go get somthing new...not to rant or anything

·
Registered
274 Posts
When downshifting from 6th to 3rd or 5th to 3rd I almost always get locked out, even with a tune. But when hammered 1st through 4th I get zero problems. I guess the tranny just wants to go to neutral instead of downshifting?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Are you double-clutching your gears??

:]

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've never rev matched a car before, it took me about a day to realize it makes driving this car much smoother. I still get locked out of 3rd though.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are trying to downshift to rev match at 7200 rpm?
No. Downshifting at any rpm under 4-4.5k. I don't downshift into a gear if it's above 5k.

Say 5th gear, 3.31s, 2k rpm is roughly 45 mph. Downshift into 2nd and you're in the powerband at about 4.5-4.8k, but in said tests it would be even lower than that.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you may have misunderstood? I go from 5th to 2nd and on the upshift to 3rd, it is locked out completely (3rd gear is).

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't have that issue. I have a problem shifting down 2 gears but I think it's just me. The only times I have missed an up shift were also all me. Something knocked me out of rhythm and screwed the whole shift up. I have my own little straight away coming into work like you described and do it almost every morning except I am 5-2. I would say once a month I miss it and it's almost always 3rd gear. Luckily I haven't missed it bad enough to really grind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts