Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the 2v block from my 2000gt are the same as the new blocks. I found a complete set of 3v heads on craigslist with valve covers. Beside timing covers and headers/adapter plates, what else would i need? Do you feel it would be worth it?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
wouldnt you need to swap the 3v ecu? I dont know much about this swap though so hopefully someone better can chime in.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
subscribed. im interested in this also. how of a power gain is there?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
you need the 3v ecm if you want to keep the vct and drive by wire.

if you run the lock outs and tb adapter plate etc you just use all the 2v wiring stuff

·
Registered
789 Posts
Wouldn't you get a better power gain from a 4v DOHC? different gotten end but while your swaping heads just throw a cobra motor in there.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Yes, you can use your 2V ECU and is cheaper to do so. You will need a dyno tune to get the most out of the motor but you can run it without. The 3V heads are just as eficient as the 4V's but unless you are going to go with an aluminum block I would go with the 4V heads. I know all about the 3V swap so if anyone has questins feel free to ask

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
dont use 4v heads on 2v pistons, you will kill the comp

Just looked up, 3v heads are 51 or 52cc chambers and will kill comp on a 2v bottom end also. Need to run them on a flat top to keep the compression up and work able

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
i was just concidering this as i was loading one of the other racers extra set of 3v heads into his truck at the dyno shop. subscibed

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Just looked up, 3v heads are 51 or 52cc chambers and will kill comp on a 2v bottom end also. Need to run them on a flat top to keep the compression up and work able
Correct, dont use the 2V rotating asembly on either head. Since you would be doing a rebuild anyways, choose your pistons accordingly. Do the research on whatever your golas are. Stock 3V pistons run 9.8:1

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, well it doesn't sound worth it then if it is going to drop my compression significantly. I was mainly looking for gains without building a new motor.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts

Or add boost!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Its definantly worth the trouble but it will cost some money

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok, well it doesn't sound worth it then if it is going to drop my compression significantly. I was mainly looking for gains without building a new motor.
Plus the 3V piston comes notched for exhaust valve clearance so that might be an issue on a 2V piston, even though there is a slight dish the lip might still hit, just my .02 good luck with what you decide.

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
Its definantly worth the trouble but it will cost some money
so you think it would be worth putting on the iron block anyways? pretty much get the heads, intake manifold spacers and the logan motorsports parts? would you need headers or would the stock manifold bolt up?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The logan kit allows for you to use the 2V manifolds but 2V headers will work as well. The 3V manifolds wont clear the firewall. The swap would still be benificial but only if you upgrade the rotating assembly. The 3V likes to rev higher than the 2V and they love FI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts