Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ yes you do always do want to use it, but its got something to do with the carbon build up on the plugs and then when you go to take them out they break, if the glass breaks and fall into the cylinder you have to pull the head.

if you go to replace you plugs and it over 15,000 miles you have to go thought this whole thing so they dont break on you.

just wanted to give you guys a heads up!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I have 12K miles on mine should i change them now?? I just don't want them breaking in the cylinder head!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
have they fixed it on any of the newer models? does anyone know if this happens on an 07?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 12K miles on mine should i change them now?? I just don't want them breaking in the cylinder head!!

i am changing mine this weekend, they dont break buy them selfs but if you do go to change them they may break, that is way there is a specail way to take them out and waht not, if you read the other thread from the other site its on there how to take them out with out breaking them, but the guy who posted that did it the way they said to and they still broke, so get them out while the milage is low, and go with the HT0's by autolite.

and my buddy at school was talking to his friend that found a different site with a guy that broke one and then when her took it to ford they broke five more. lol

just giving you guys a heads up!:yes

·
Registered
135 Posts
This topic is all over the forums and has some fixes.

This is the 'new' one piece Champion plug#7989 that Ford is buying to replace that poorly designed two piece factory plug. These plugs are for Normally aspirated 3v cars with normal heat range plugs only!!!!

Here's the TSB# 08-7-6 that covers R&R of the factory plugs. This TSB doesn't talk about the new Champion plugs, all it does is explain how best to remove the old ones and what to do if you break one off in the head.

Here's a long forum discussion about this issue:

Installed Champion Plugs - The Mustang Source Forums

·
Registered
135 Posts
^ thanks for more info!!

and if you are looking for an aftermarket plug talked to a guy that said the autolites are fine!
The autolite HTO and HT1's are still the poorly designed two piece plug. The HTO's are in my supercharged car and were factory installed at Roush. They will be coming out in the future.

The only aftermarket one piece plug in the colder heat range for supercharged engines in the 450HP area are the Brisk plug# 3VR14S. These are very close in heat range to the HTO's. I have a set on the way!!

I've done quite abit of searching on this topic and the only factory plug available that addresses the breaking issue is the new Champion 7989. Its the one piece design. Now if you are into it you can pull the autolite's every so many miles and clean them and apply antiseize to the specified areas but that will not a guaranty they won't break. I talked to the Federal Mogul rep about the one piece Champions and although some people don't like running a different brand, these won't break in the head and thats the most important thing. I'm sure in the future others will follow their lead but for now thats it.

They also said that mid year 2008 models have an updated and redesigned head for different plugs so some 2008 cars may not need this attention.

Autolite two piece design:

New one piece design:* The Champion 7989 looks very similar in design. I just don't have a close up pic.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The autolite HTO and HT1's are still the poorly designed two piece plug. The HTO's are in my supercharged car and were factory installed at Roush. They will be coming out in the future.

The only aftermarket one piece plug in the colder heat range for supercharged engines in the 450HP area are the Brisk plug# 3VR14S. These are very close in heat range to the HTO's. I have a set on the way!!

I've done quite abit of searching on this topic and the only factory plug available that addresses the breaking issue is the new Champion 7989. Its the one piece design. Now if you are into it you can pull the autolite's every so many miles and clean them and apply antiseize to the specified areas but that will not a guaranty they won't break. I talked to the Federal Mogul rep about the one piece Champions and although some people don't like running a different brand, these won't break in the head and thats the most important thing. I'm sure in the future others will follow their lead but for now thats it.

They also said that mid year 2008 models have an updated and redesigned head for different plugs so some 2008 cars may not need this attention.

Autolite two piece design:

New one piece design:* The Champion 7989 looks very similar in design. I just don't have a close up pic.

thanks you very much for all the info, i will be changing my mind alittle on what plugs i go with now. and i have been so much reading on thsi since i heard what has been going on with the plugs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey 07 427R, Where did you get your plugs from
I bought the Brisk plugs from Brenspeed.:drink Steeda also sells them but they were abit more expensive. There could be other vendors but thats who I went with. They said only coat then threads with anitseize, and not the barrel/ground electrode area like was mentioned in the TSB. Brisk said gap to .032" but I'm going to reconfirm that before I install them. Again, get all the info for your own application. My info is just a good reference to start your project!!!

2005 2006 2007 2008 MUSTANG GT MSD COIL 82438

Brisk Silver Racing Spark Plugs - 86-08 Ford Mustang

Brisk Racing

When I talked to Federal Mogul about building a one heat range colder plug similar to their OEM factory built Champion 7989 but for the supercharged cars and he sort of laughed cause he said this special new design OEM plug 7989 they built for ford was costly and he said he didn't see a big market for a colder version for modified cars but he did take my info as a request to build one. As long as we have these cars we don't need spark plug issues and there are alot of 3v heads out there that are running 'power adders' needing a colder plug. I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I heard of this and talked to my tuner about it and he said he has not had any problems with any cars yet and i should not worry about anything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I heard of this and talked to my tuner about it and he said he has not had any problems with any cars yet and i should not worry about anything.
I'm sure that not all cars will have issues. Thats why Ford has made it a TSB and not a recall but the problem seems to get worse with more mileage and carbon build-up on the outer electrode. I read on one forum that a guy tried to pull his plugs with only 17,000 on it and broke a few. I've read that you should do something to mitigate any possible trouble by the 25,000 mile mark. Low mileage cars may not have too many issues but what I hear happens is alot of carbon builds up around the lower outer electrode and cylinder head and when you try to remove the crimped two piece design plug out you twist off the top piece since the lower half stays in the head. This is just a heads up for people that may want to investigate the issue. Breaking a plug off in the head can be costly. Here's what the plugs look like when issues develop.

Broken plugs:

Too much antiseize on the barrel area following the TSB.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have read that people have had them break but i guess your right some may have issues and others wont and if you are changing them with very few miles on them there should not be any problems i still might go ahead and change mine and do the one piece

1 - 20 of 37 Posts