Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it possible that a car with one of the biggest v6 engines on the market only puts out around 200 hp? Untill 2011 the mustangs were way underpowered for the engine size why did ford not do anything to make the most out of good engines. What could be done to make these cars have around 300 hp without f/i. maybe its just me who thinks its weird that japanese cars have v6s and are close to 300 horses stock. I just would like to know everyones opinions because im far from an expert.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nopeee i agree, i talk with some of my friends who have like Evo 9's and they crank out like 300 or something out of like a 2.5L inline 4 and im just like dude wtf i have a 4 L v6! and get like less than 200! I wonder about that too but idk if it is possible to get to 300 without F/I. I mean with duals, a CAI and a good tune ur looking at like idk 30 ish hp? idk im just estimating but if u like stroke it or something ur mods give u more power, or atleast i read that. But i agree completely underpowered for their size.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Hello:

Ford had no reason to make a 300hp v6 then, it would have been very odd with with the 4.6 3v GT around the same power.

And the EVO is the turbo pride of mitsubishi, the rest of the imports are high compression 4v motors, like the 3.7L v6!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello:

Ford had no reason to make a 300hp v6 then, it would have been very odd with with the 4.6 3v GT around the same power.

And the EVO is the turbo pride of mitsubishi, the rest of the imports are high compression 4v motors, like the 3.7L v6!
haha yea after i posted that i was like, oh yea the evo's have a huge turbo but yea i guess it makes sense with the whole v8 thing, its just such a massive v6 thats underpowered i guess is what he means.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
4.0 was a 2v sohc
3.7 is a 4v dohc with twin variable timing and DI

and like ESG said they couldn't have a v6 putting out power similar to the GT

if ford wanted to they could make a 400hp twin turbo 3.7 easily but it would compete with the GT

the v6 is meant to be the base model just like the evo has the regular lancer as somewhat base models to it.

you might also ask why did ford use the 4.0 instead of its 3.0L duratec which made more hp with a little less torque. its because they needed a torqy v6 that delivered alot of low to mid range power and they could use 3.27 as the stock axle gear instead of say 4.10's which may have been needed if they chose the smaller more efficient but less torqy 3.0L

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
and its been rumored but remember its just rumors...

the future lineup could possibly feature:
a regular NA v6(like the 3.7 as the base model)
a twin turbo v6(produces similar GT power with better mpg)
and the GT(classic v8 option)

·
Registered
92 Posts
same im definitely lookin into forced induction orrr engine swapp for the new 5.0 i wonder if itd be a clean swap wiht my 2010 v6. id probably have to change the transmission too though.

but as far as the wholee underpowered thing goes yea it definitely makes sense that they do it as like a base model cuz i mean, even my mother said "If the 2010 wouldve had the 2011 engine, we wouldntve bought you a mustang because thats too much for a teenager" they just have to like, cater do almost everyones needs. im still pissed i didnt wait one more year though haha =(

·
Registered
481 Posts
same im definitely lookin into forced induction orrr engine swapp for the new 5.0 i wonder if itd be a clean swap wiht my 2010 v6. id probably have to change the transmission too though.

but as far as the wholee underpowered thing goes yea it definitely makes sense that they do it as like a base model cuz i mean, even my mother said "If the 2010 wouldve had the 2011 engine, we wouldntve bought you a mustang because thats too much for a teenager" they just have to like, cater do almost everyones needs. im still pissed i didnt wait one more year though haha =(
Dont do an engine swap, get the Boss mustang in 2012;) lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
haha! i saw that on twitter!!
honestly it looks JUST like the 2011 gt/cs from the front but that engine is hellaa sexy. how much is that putting out?
and why not engine swap? :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i guess you guys are right about it being the base model. haha yea i felt bad for people who jumped and bought 2010 v6s and then a year later they put out the rediculous 3.7 v6. My question now is is it possible to turn the 4.0 into a dohc with all that technology or is that impossible im just a kid and i dont know. I would gladly spend some money on upgrading the technology of the motor before f/i because i love the way the 4.0 roars and i wish i could get more out of it

·
Registered
481 Posts
haha! i saw that on twitter!!
honestly it looks JUST like the 2011 gt/cs from the front but that engine is hellaa sexy. how much is that putting out?
and why not engine swap? :(
Well thats just me but i like that look of it:) haha from what i read 440 hp 380 tq

Purpose-built Boss engine is based on production 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-liter DOHC V8, heavily modified with unique, Boss-specific parts to withstand all-day thrashing
Revised intake, CNC-machined heads, lightened valvetrain and strengthened reciprocating assembly result in a race-proven engine meeting production durability standards

Heres the mods & its blower free:

* Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
* Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
* New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
* Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
* Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
* Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
* 5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
* Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

·
Registered
92 Posts
Woww hahaha maybe i can just engine swap for that one! hahaha
sounds mean, looks nice under the hood too! probably cost me way more than the 5.0 though. Ill just have to start saving up haha

·
Registered
481 Posts
Woww hahaha maybe i can just engine swap for that one! hahaha
sounds mean, looks nice under the hood too! probably cost me way more than the 5.0 though. Ill just have to start saving up haha
lol wouldnt mind doing an engine swap for that. Well the 5.0 engine cost around $7000 so it would probably range from $10,000-$20,000.

Im keepng my car for a long time so maybe there'll be a more powerful engine in 2014:eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea Thats the good thing about pony cars even tho we have the v6 now we could always swap in something huge into that big engine bay of ours. i wanna keep my car and in the future when i have a good job in money put a brand new engine in it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know right! how massive is our engine compartment its ridiculous. Whenever i see another everything looks so crampedd but thats because compared to ours everything IS cramped! haha yea i saw a site that sells the 5.0 for $6,400.00 i thinkk. i dont think thats too bad. 10k+ is wayy too much ahha

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gotta love mustang lol. Im probably gonna save up for a 5.4L or the 5.0 cuz i like the way it looks.

$6,400 is great compared to all the mods im doing.. Im just gonna do supporting mods (like suspension, chassis,etc.) then the engine swap so that it would support the power and weight:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Late Model Restoration is giving away a 2011 5.0 Engine. Free to enter. Enter by 9/1. Announce winner 11/1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 20 of 149 Posts