Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of 430s and 456s on a DD? Im asking cause there was a post recently with A guy that had 456s. Any and all opinions are appreicated.

·
Registered
600 Posts
it depends on if you like spinning your tires really really easy, or if you want to not be able to take off at a stoplight without spinning them

·
Registered
870 Posts
It depends on the car. On a 2V or 3V i wouldnt go higher than a 4.10. On 4V's their power band is different and can take a higher gear better. Two of the guys in my local mustang club are running high gear. 2003 mach 1 is running 4.30's and a 01 cobra is running 4.56's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Title should read 430 and 456. Thanks for the answers. I am still learning. More thoughts are very welcome.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I installed 4.56 in 2001 gt I had to change them . It would not hook with 26 in. drag radials..and 4.6 doesnt have enough wind ..4.10 are the best

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
4.10 are the best of both worlds

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
4.30s and 4.56s are too steep because you will have to shift into 5th in the quarter and your gas mileage would be crap.

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMO, I wouldnt go more than 3.90's for a DD especially if you do any highway driving at all. 4.10's if your just running around town and staying local.
My 07 is my DD and that includes alot of highway driving. Mustang Meets cruises, parties etc..etc..and i have 4.10 gears and i probally use up another 2mpg than before

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had 4.10's put in at the first of the year. Good pulling power . . . but there is some gear whine in 4th & 5th gear on the highway. I'm told that's common but I still don't like it. But I'm also a very picky M*t#r F*#k#r :D. If it is your daily driver . . . the gear whine can be annoying with the higher gears . . . just my opinion

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went with the 4.10 Ford Racing gears and have had no problems with whine or any issues. I now have a Paxton and still love the gears.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the tires dont just roast? even with the paxton? how much are you putting to the wheels? my big dilema is between the 410s and 373s

·
Registered
870 Posts
Btw dont fear the gear, I was afraid that 4.10's would be a little too much gear. I could barely feel the difference. That is until a week or so later I gave a LS1 powered trans am the ass raping of his/her life :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
the tires dont just roast? even with the paxton? how much are you putting to the wheels? my big dilema is between the 410s and 373s
My stang is my DD and 3.73's are great. I drive her hard and do a little street racing and they are perfect. Plus my gas milage is still decent and at 3.30 a gallon that has to be cnsidered for a DD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts