Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I am getting 4.10 gears put on my 01 gt this weekend. It is an auto. I bought a livewire and plan on getting a custom tune but i want to know if i can drive the car home (about 50 miles) on the stock tune or will it kill my tranny. ive read a post from casper gt "auto's in these cars use the vss to run them, gear's & no adjustment = a trip to the trans shop."
I planed on manually calculating speed untill i get home to load the tune as suggested by ReverendDexter
"I.e indicated 60 will actually be 60(3.27/4.10) or ~48 actual mph.
To go a certain speed, invert the fraction. I.e., to go actual 60, you need to indicate 60(4.10/3.27) or 75mph."

The reasons Im not just taking the tuner and loading the tune are
A. still waiting for the livewire to be delivered
B. never loaded a tune and would rather be at home if i jack it up, rather have my car dead in my driveway then 50 miles away.

thanks
Bob

·
Bearer of Bad News
2,478 Posts
I'd hold off if it were my car. Wait till you've got the tuner. Just follow directions when tuning for the gears and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that was what ill do, still holding out hope the tuner will show up in time.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I would wait, period (even if it ment I couldn't make the appointment to get the gears put in). stick car's can get away with no tuner, auto's, like I said before, without a tuner to adjust your VSS, good chance of a $1500-2k mistake (50 mile's is plenty far enough to do it, ie. blow up your trans). if your tuner come's in time, just take it with you to the shop thats installing the gear's, they should be able to make the changes for you (if they can't figure out how to do it, ie. install the tune, you probubly don't want them installing your gear's anyway).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do i need a custom tune to change the VSS or can i just change it with the livewire? i am going to order a email tune from BamaChips but need the serial number from the livewire to order the tune.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
do i need a custom tune to change the VSS or can i just change it with the livewire? i am going to order a email tune from BamaChips but need the serial number from the livewire to order the tune.
not shure what's loaded in a livewire/sct as I use diablo, but on a diablo, yes you can adjust for gear's without a tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts