Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered some 4.10's from AM. Just wondering what kind of gains you guys have seen with this swap? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Usually what I have seen is people pick up a few tenths. But depending on what your running for tires the gears may slow you down if you spin more on the launch.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been using some small 235/60/15 BFG DR's and usually in the 1.9x's 60' times. I'm hoping to improve on that with some more practice.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I've been using some small 235/60/15 BFG DR's and usually in the 1.9x's 60' times. I'm hoping to improve on that with some more practice.
If your running drs you should be good and see a couple tenths improvement with good driving.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Around 2 tenths. With an improved 60ft. you can drop another 1-2 tenths.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My 4.10s top out at around 123mph on a 26" tire so u shouldnt be too worried about mph as for gains you will definitely notice some differences

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
My 4.10s top out at around 123mph on a 26" tire so u shouldnt be too worried about mph as for gains you will definitely notice some differences
How high are you reving? You have an auto, right?

With my 5spd and at 111mph I'm at like 6100rpm on a 26" tire with 4.10's.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
You could lose time or gain time, traction depending. Most people usually pick up a tenth or two and if you were to throw on a very sticky tire and shift right, you could possibly gain 3-4 tenths.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
With stock size tires an auto with 4.10s would be spinning around 6800 rpms at 123 mph. With 26" tires it would be around 6700 rpms. The calculator agreed exactly with Blownstang's 6100 rpms at 111 mph.

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1^ with 315-35-17 NT05R on my 02 mustang, 4th gear was about 112-114 with a 4.10 gear.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking forward to the gear swap. I waited to do it last for some reason, I think cause I didn't feel like doing it myself and knew I'd be takin it to a shop. Everything else has been easy bolt on stuff I was able to do. I guess once the gears are in no more running through the traps in 3rd gear w/ the 3.27's. My DR's are 26' tires so I think i should have plenty of gear left in 4th close to the end as I'm only trap about 103mph.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm looking forward to the gear swap. I waited to do it last for some reason, I think cause I didn't feel like doing it myself and knew I'd be takin it to a shop. Everything else has been easy bolt on stuff I was able to do. I guess once the gears are in no more running through the traps in 3rd gear w/ the 3.27's. My DR's are 26' tires so I think i should have plenty of gear left in 4th close to the end as I'm only trap about 103mph.
Ya you'll be fine. You'll mph might drop 1-2mph after the 4.10's. Mine ran 13.40's at 100.5mph.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Ya you'll be fine. You'll mph might drop 1-2mph after the 4.10's. Mine ran 13.40's at 100.5mph.
I think it will be the exact opposite, he'll gain at-least 1-2mph after swapping the gears. 3.27's are dogs in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ah 4.10's... gears are not always the best mod... if you ever plan on going turbo you want the stock 3.27's. and if you ever want your car to top out at a high speed and not just run 1/4's all the time, dont change gears. and if you use it as a DD, your city gas mileage will go in the shitter. otherwise if you just want to RIP through gears, 4.10's.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Ah 4.10's... gears are not always the best mod... if you ever plan on going turbo you want the stock 3.27's. and if you ever want your car to top out at a high speed and not just run 1/4's all the time, dont change gears. and if you use it as a DD, your city gas mileage will go in the shitter. otherwise if you just want to RIP through gears, 4.10's.
City gas mileage will go in the shitter? With steeper gears you usually gain 1mpg in the city. You loose a few mpg on the highway. I do all city driving. I am rarely on the highway. Going from 3.27 to 4.10 my mpg increased. This is Chicago city driving where the speed limit is 30mph.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I think it will be the exact opposite, he'll gain at-least 1-2mph after swapping the gears. 3.27's are dogs in the 1/4 mile.
Not the case in my situation, but I also added drag radials at the same time I did 4.10's. Car had a quicker time, but slower mph.

·
Registered
813 Posts
City gas mileage will go in the shitter? With steeper gears you usually gain 1mpg in the city. You loose a few mpg on the highway. I do all city driving. I am rarely on the highway. Going from 3.27 to 4.10 my mpg increased. This is Chicago city driving where the speed limit is 30mph.
Steeper gears give you 1 mpg gain in the city? I beg to differ. 4.10 gears are used in towing applications... how would that in any way add to your avg. mpg while stopping and going in the city?

Are you a mechanic by chance?

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Not the case in my situation, but I also added drag radials at the same time I did 4.10's. Car had a quicker time, but slower mph.
Damn that's odd, never heard of any non power-adder 2v's losing trap speed from swapping gears. Maybe the DA and weather just affected your times? It's kind of like saying a bolt-on 4.10 would lose to an identical bolt-on 3.27 from a roll race (identical drivers), which just does not happen.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Steeper gears give you 1 mpg gain in the city? I beg to differ. 4.10 gears are used in towing applications... how would that in any way add to your avg. mpg while stopping and going in the city?

Are you a mechanic by chance?
Where are you coming up with this? Guess I need to add a tow hitch to my car and I'll pull my truck to the track on the trailer since my Mustang is geared for towing.

By the way I averaged 17.9 MPG when I had a 5 speed in my Mustang with 4.10s..... back when I used to drive it occasionally (all city driving).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts