Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking your opinions on whether I should get 4.10s or 4.30s. My car will be seeing the track occasionally, but is 99% DD. The only difference between the two @80mph is 100-150rpms. I'm more worried about highway driving since when I'm driving around town 5th will become viable. Don't even say 3.73 because I won't waste the money going from 3.55 to 3.73.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
4.10's man......

highway driving is gonna be a biiiiiiiitch with 4.30's

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Its not going to be anymore of a bitch than the 4.10s. Besides, if hes willing to put up with it... its perfectly streetable.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
i personally hate my 4.10's on the highway.....

and i never said anything about streetability

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
6 in 1...... I would just flip a coin.:D 4.10's will give you a little higher top speed but realy how often do you top it out? The 4.30's will be nice on the 4V since they rev out nice and high. I am going with 4.10's just because I don't want the extra 100-200rpms higher on the highway. I would say do the math on where you will be when you cross the stripe at the dragstrip. If the 4.30's push you too high then go with the 4.10's. Thats what I would be more concerned about.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm only out on the interstate every 3 weeks or so. Otherwise I'm pretty much driving 45-55 around town (very nice drive to and from school) with only 5 stop lights inbetween. But when I am on the interstate I'm driving around 500 miles in a weekend and going 75mph tops.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
6 in 1...... I would just flip a coin.:D 4.10's will give you a little higher top speed but realy how often do you top it out? The 4.30's will be nice on the 4V since they rev out nice and high. I am going with 4.10's just because I don't want the extra 100-200rpms higher on the highway. I would say do the math on where you will be when you cross the stripe at the dragstrip. If the 4.30's push you too high then go with the 4.10's. Thats what I would be more concerned about.
You wouldn't even be able to top out with 4.56s unless you have about 450 HP.

I say 4.30s in a 4v

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I've ran 4.30's before I had the rear rebuilt and now their are 4.10's.... I loved running the 4.30's much much more. 5th on the interstate isn't bad at all, I've driven from Orlando to Destin before with the 4.30's and it's not bad at all. Thats about a 7hour one way drive too. Without the nitrous I would not get close to maxing out the 4.30's in the 1/4.

And like someone said earlier, you won't see the top speed of 4.30 or 4.10's without some very good power. It'll be easier to reach a hight speed with the 4.30's too.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i say 4.30s i havent tried them but i will soon

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, 4.30s it is. I'm looking at the Motives on AM and I see where an install kit and master bearing kit is available. Are these necessary or will any shop I take the car to for the install have this available?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motive makes FRPP now fyi. And my exhaust is so loud there is no way I'm going to hear any whine if there is any at all.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Don't get Motives. They whine. FRPP or bust.

ive had motive in previous cars. everyone said they whine.. etc.. but if you install right and go easy on the car for the first 500 miles you dont get the whine. most gears whine when you dont break them in properly. but then again some just whine either way. but in my experience motive didnt whine on any of my cars

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
also I dont understand why any of the mach guys would want anything more than the 3.55 my gears go so quick and 5th gear is at like 2300rpm.. which is gas waste in my opinion. im used to m y old trans am rolling at like 1 grand on highway

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your old trans am probably had 2.xx gears in it too. 3.55s are nice and I've often thought of keeping it stock, but I keep hearing how 4.10s or 30s will just throw you back in your seat. I've even read where gears have improved someone's mileage and where people haven't seen a difference at all. Which makes since because if you have gears your more likely to be more aware of what speed you're at so you keep the RPMs down.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts