Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got these Ford racing 4.10 yesterday. If there true 4.10 is it suppose to show it somewhere on the gears? They r in great shape but I'm so afraid since I'm not clearly seeing 4.10 anywhere that I may have got ripped off??? Please help me out!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Many gear sets are not stamped with the ratio--all you have to do is count the teeth on the ring and pinion, and do the math--4.10 sets are 41 teeth on the ring/10 on the pinion...

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I believe my FRPP gears had "3 73" stamped on both the ring and the pinion gear. I think it was on the back side of both gears.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many gear sets are not stamped with the ratio--all you have to do is count the teeth on the ring and pinion, and do the math--4.10 sets are 41 teeth on the ring/10 on the pinion...
That's what it came out to.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe my FRPP gears had "3 73" stamped on both the ring and the pinion gear. I think it was on the back side of both gears.
I could see it on the gear. It said it like backwards.10 4 or something.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would never buy used gears.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They r in great shape and I got a great deal on it all I didn't want to pass it up.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
there is nothing wrong with used gears as long as the prior owner left the pinion nut on, or used a piece of wood when he slammed it out of the carrier to save the pinion. when gears get old they usualy need to be re lashed anyways so used gears are broken in and work good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
glad u figured it out as well. Used gears can be be bad but sometimes you have to get what you can he said that they were in good shape. Let us know how feel once you install them. I love my gears I have 4.10's as well every red like is a tree to me lol.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I was thinking but I was reading on another mustang forum that not all frpp gears were stamped.even though I figured out mine had 41 teeth and 10 teeth on the other. And were really 4.10s I didn't know if any of u knew about this

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard ford racing gears tend to be noisey, but an alum driveline would help lol and if you still don't believe they are 4.10's, install them, turn your tire one full turn and count how many times your driveline rotates (hopefully 4 times + 10% of a turn):yes

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I heard ford racing gears tend to be noisey, but an alum driveline would help lol and if you still don't believe they are 4.10's, install them, turn your tire one full turn and count how many times your driveline rotates (hopefully 4 times + 10% of a turn):yes
kinda late in the game at that point.

·
Registered
929 Posts
They are 4.10:1 ratio. No need to question it. Like cliffyk said ; (# of ring gear teeth divided by # of pinion teeth = gear ratio) That's why its called a gear ratio!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are 4.10:1 ratio. No need to question it. Like cliffyk said ; (# of ring gear teeth divided by # of pinion teeth = gear ratio) That's why its called a gear ratio!
Ya I probably should chill out. The ratio did check out and through code on the pinion and gear matched the box.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ya I probably should chill out. The ratio did check out and through code on the pinion and gear matched the box.
Sorry, didn't mean anything by it. It typed out worse than I meant it, LOL.
I was trying to say that it's pointless to jack the car up and try to estimate the exact number of wheel to driveshaft revolutions when you have the gears in front of you and can count the actual teeth!. You're golden! Good luck with the install and don't forget to post results!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts