Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen it posted many times that the stock 3.27 gear ratio is perfect for a turbo setup because you dont go through the rpms as fast. now would that still apply to a car with an auto tranny? you dont lose boost with an auto when it shifts, so would it matter if the car went through the RPMs faster?

·
MM's Official Lab Rat!
3,315 Posts
Its more a traction issue than anything. If you cant get the power to the wheels what does is matter. 4.10s with turbo = bad idea

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Its more a traction issue than anything. If you cant get the power to the wheels what does is matter. 4.10s with turbo = bad idea

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I agree. However I am going to run 4.10s in mine so I can at least try and see the difference between that and 3.55's (which is what I will eventually go to with a stall. Reason I am staying with the 4.10 is because the way it was explained to me is you will have less turbo lag. Now I know its such a minimal amount but if you have them in why not try the difference for yourself? If you dont have 410's yet I wouldnt buy them and go with stock or a set of 3.55s

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
My 3.27s compliment my turbo 5 speed car very well. I wouldn't do 4.10s.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I have gone through this with my car. Ditch the 4:10s. I run 3:55s and really like them

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Will it even reach close to full boost at the top of first or even second with 4.10s?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
doubtful but depends on the turbo and tire size.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I wouldn't do 4.10's, need to have a taller gear so it puts load on the motor and will build boost better.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yall dont know what yall are talking about...

Turbo and 4.56s are the best way to go..:)

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Debating this myself. Are you locking the converter in 3rd? 3.73s with a 26 inch tire will be good for about 135 trap. With a turbo auto you can load it up at the line or on the brake. So you never loose boost if you have a 3000 plus stall.

I run 3.27s and a 26 inch et street. I'm looking into 3.55s for now since I plan on trapping over 135 in the near future. Possibly going to a 4.10 with 28s. Almost the same final drive as 3.55 and 26 tire.

What is your goal for the car?

edit: I think the trap speed I posted is reving out to 7k

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
U are a turbo car u dont want 4. Anything gearing...ur not going to load a turbo like it should with 4.10s because u would go thru the rpm to fast...lower gear= more load on turbo= bulds boost quicker= holds the boost longer= faster car...yall stop making this complicated lol..

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
You don't want 4.56.

A stock gt barely gets any traction with 4.56s and I can't even imagine with all the torque from the turbo. Also, there is absolutely no way in hill you are going to hit full boost with that short of gearing.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I don't have traction until 3rd gear with 3.27s. It's just a fact of going fast. Learn to drive with a lighter foot and only get on it hard when you have a slick or decent Dr under it

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
You don't want 4.56.

A stock gt barely gets any traction with 4.56s and I can't even imagine with all the torque from the turbo. Also, there is absolutely no way in hill you are going to hit full boost with that short of gearing.
i was just joking dude lol...

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
I don't have traction until 3rd gear with 3.27s. It's just a fact of going fast. Learn to drive with a lighter foot and only get on it hard when you have a slick or decent Dr under it
You need some tires then :)

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yeah I pretty much dead hook on the street with a 28in tire and 3:55 gears...

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
^ that must be very fun on the street

1 - 20 of 26 Posts