Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have called my local Ford dealer and got a quote on installing 4.10's in my 06 GT. I have one quick question though. I know this will increase take off but will it also increase acceleration at other speeds as well? And thanks to all that helped me with my decision on which mod to do next.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
I would suggest not using your local ford dealer to do the install. They will overcharge you like crazy. Yes Gears will improve take off aswell as acceleration. Hurt top speed though, and mpg's

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
I also recommend shopping around for installers. Prices vary all over the place.
I'd describe going to 4.10's (from 3.55) is kinda like 2nd gear feels almost as steep as 1st gear was, 3rd gear accelerates as hard as 2nd used to...
It's awesome. It changes everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the Ford Dealer will be more but there are so many "shade tree" mechanic shops around that I just don't trust anybody else. As an added the guy that specializes in rear end work at the dealer is also a Mustang restorer/modder himself. Cost from the dealer to do this is $700.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
700 seems way to much... i paid 350 for gears and install at a shop.

ask that tech if he wants to do it on the side for cash.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
700 with all parts included isn't bad at all. And they won't hurt your mpg as much as you think. I've had 4.10 for about a year now and wish I would've went with 4.30

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
MPG isnt an issue really. I have hardly seen a drop now that the tune and everything in my car has settled down. I cruise on the highway at 75 going 2600rpm and the car loves it. 20+ mpg. City is a little easier too because you are getting to the sweet spot a little faster and easier than stock gears....

4.10s are as high as I would go however... I find myself shifting way to much way to fast it seems now. My car does 60mph at 6000+ rpm in 2nd while my dads car does that in 1st gear. Its not fair :(

Install and parts for my car was $510 but I just got the gears.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 4.10's were a great mod. second best mod so far.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I am still throwing around 3.73 in case i get in a high speed chase with the police.... lol, As for my stock gears i have right now, they are pretty awesome on the autobahn in Germany!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Prices for the install will vary depending where you are, I paid 575 with gears and install which is cheap as hell in cali. My ford dealer wanted 650 just for install. I love them, great mod for the money and better mpg in the city if you don't drive like a jack nut

·
Registered
481 Posts
4.10's will make it very snappy! I went from 3.55 to 4.10 last year. I find myself taking off in 2nd gear quite often now from stoplights since 1st gear is so short. MPG suffered a bit but not that noticeable. It's a great performance mod.

I have called my local Ford dealer and got a quote on installing 4.10's in my 06 GT. I have one quick question though. I know this will increase take off but will it also increase acceleration at other speeds as well? And thanks to all that helped me with my decision on which mod to do next.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
4.10's will make every gear awesome. you will be surprised at 5th gear. $700 including parts is ridiculously high though. i live in a high cost of living area and i only paid $450 for parts and install. shop around

and just because its a ford garage, doesn mean they arent shady. i recently paid them $189 for them to tell me to take it somewhere else for a balance. the alignment was off by .05.
find a back alley garage thats been around for decades

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I know here in San Diego, dealers charge or did charge $700 for labor. Now here is the kicker. They take the cars to a shop called SD Gear and Axle for the install. SD gear and axle only charges $250-300 for labor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm getting my 3.73's put in today.

$200 labor, cost me $230 for the parts (gears/pinion bearing/mobile-1/Ford additive/install kit)

1st place I went to said $600, and he would only do it if he bought the parts. So it pays to shop around.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i paid 600 with parts and labor, which i know is kinda high but the guy that did the work is a badass mechanic. id rather pay once and have it done right. just fyi, be careful bottom fishing for a gear install.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Between 300-400 is the going rate fot gear install in the upper mid-west.

OP, nice choice w/ 4.10's.... you'll love em.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Upper mid-west is where it is at!!!! I am originally from Rochester, MN!!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
300 for mine, i already had the gear though.. bought it fro $125

1 - 20 of 26 Posts