Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had come across a great deal on craigslist for some gears and install kit. The gears on ford racing 4.10s and he says he had on for less than 1000 miles before he took them off. And they look to be in great shape. As far as the install kit, it's brand new and still in the packaging. He is giving it all to me for 140 bucks. What do you guys think? I thought it was a steal pretty much even though I gotta make a bit of a drive.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
as long as the gears dont whine when u stick 'em in the rear end.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
in other words..make sure he broke them in properly

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Brake-in procedure for New Gears

Maybe not everybody know this but after the gear swap job you need to pre-heat the gears just like the new rotors. Here is how to do that:

•First time you drive the car, only drive it about 15 minutes or so; DON'T accelerate hard or drive exremely fast
•Stop the car and let the gears cool off for about 2-3 hours, unless its very cold outside then matbe a little less
•Then Drive again for about 30 minutes or so, no hard acceleration or fast driving speeds, and let the gears cool off again
•Then the last time drive the car about 45 minutes or so, no hard acceleration or fast driving, you get the picture, then for the last time let the gears cool.
After that give the gears HELL. If you don't do this break your gears may decide to wine.

For everyone else who plans on this mod it doesn't hurt to do it! if you can be calm enough to keep your foot out of the floorboard trying to test your new mod.

courtesy of TCCoA | TCCoA

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
kinda weary of used gears.. but whats the worst that could hapen :)
aand when i had mine done, i didnt break em in at all. actually drove an hour and a half all highway right after the install. no whines or any other noises. my buddy said he saw a little white smoke once though but not anything to worry about

·
Registered
321 Posts
..if they've already been used then there's no need to 'break them in.' Which I personally don't think you should worry about breaking in gears but that's an entirely different subject since these already have '1000 miles' on them

If they whine it's because whoever installed them didn't set up the pinion correctly, it's not a condition that would carry over from the previous car unless they were installed incorrectly on your car(mustang girl's car)

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
used gears goin into mine in a few weeks. If the install was done right you should be fine.

You think a Mustang with 6 miles on it uses a gear break in? nope people go and rail on it! As will I

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was somewhat weary of buying used at first but they look good in pics from what I have seen and like he told me he only took them off cuz he does too much highway driving. What are some major things I should look for on them when me and my bf get there?

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
sounds like a great deal

ive never heard of breaking in gears, i just took mine to an experienced mechanic who i trust and he did a great job, no whine, and i sure didnt break them in :p

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
little chips on the gears, make sure they are perfect

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what i thought, definitely make sure no chips. But I'm taking my bf with so i think we we will do ok.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what i thought, definitely make sure no chips. But I'm taking my bf with so i think we we will do ok.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brake-in procedure for New Gears

Maybe not everybody know this but after the gear swap job you need to pre-heat the gears just like the new rotors. Here is how to do that:

•First time you drive the car, only drive it about 15 minutes or so; DON'T accelerate hard or drive exremely fast
•Stop the car and let the gears cool off for about 2-3 hours, unless its very cold outside then matbe a little less
•Then Drive again for about 30 minutes or so, no hard acceleration or fast driving speeds, and let the gears cool off again
•Then the last time drive the car about 45 minutes or so, no hard acceleration or fast driving, you get the picture, then for the last time let the gears cool.
After that give the gears HELL. If you don't do this break your gears may decide to wine.

For everyone else who plans on this mod it doesn't hurt to do it! if you can be calm enough to keep your foot out of the floorboard trying to test your new mod.

courtesy of TCCoA | TCCoA
I don't see these recommendations on new cars with 0 miles on them.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
There's really no way to tell, visually, if a set of gears is good or bad other than obvious chips. You can dye the gears and run them and see if they are making correct contact but by then it's too late. They're already in the car.

BTW once you get them in make sure that you take the road less traveled on your way back home(i.e. road with the least amount of cops on it!) because you're going to be putting your foot into that thing every chance you get with the new gears!! LOL!

John

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Ha mmhmm. First few weeks you'll be driving like crash bandicoot

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
go for it as long as they look like they are in good shape. who's gonna install them?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was somewhat weary of buying used at first but they look good in pics from what I have seen and like he told me he only took them off cuz he does too much highway driving. What are some major things I should look for on them when me and my bf get there?
scope him out, make sure he isnt a craigslist creeper:yes

1 - 20 of 56 Posts