Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the need for more power, but don't feel like taking on a project as big as a V8 swap, or shelling out the dollars for a SSMS block.

Can I pull a 4.2 out of an F150, and maybe put in a cam/heads package on it from SSMS and expect it to work?

Would the swap be a direct one or would I be needing something more?
PCM aside, I'd plan on having VMP tune it anyway.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Answer to all is yes, but you might as well just get a 4.2L stroker kit rather than do a full swap

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Torres!! where are you!

:lol

you can pull a 4.2 out of an F150, you will have to transfer somethings and what not, there was a user on here either by the name of stephen or 99mustangV6 or something, can't remember but he swapped a 4.2 out of an f150 after he blew his up

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Answer to all is yes, but you might as well just get a 4.2L stroker kit rather than do a full swap
I was thinking of building the 4.2 outside of my car and when it's ready, swap it in with a friend over a weekend instead of having to spend more time ripping down my block.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
I was thinking of building the 4.2 outside of my car and when it's ready, swap it in with a friend over a weekend instead of having to spend more time ripping down my block.
oh than yeah pull it out, and go to town lol. just before you start throwing money into it, tear it down and make sure everything is good

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes a 4.2 will drop right in. You just need a mustang upper intake as the 4.2 wont fit under the hood. you will also need a new flexplate if you are not 01 or up. You would also need a newer pulley, or just use the one from the f150. Everything else should work fine and almost all parts are interchangable

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
hey, now im interested in this swap, how much power does the 4.2 make over a 3.8? if you do go with a 4.2 swap do you still look for upgrades for a mustang engine or look for the f150 side?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
just stroking the 3.8 to a 4.2 will gain you about 20-25rwhp and 20-25rwtq

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
woah woah woah!! the 4.2 truck engine, couldnt that be stroked to like 4.6? woot?

wait wait again stroked AND bored! ?!
no its a stroked 3.8 block already

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
when looking for mods to do to that engine, are you gonna be looking at 3.8 parts or finding 4.2 parts?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
yea 20 hp gain... unless you've got an sn95... then your gettin hooked up hah
seems alot more useful to do it to an sn95 than a new edge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The swap will also make the engine reach it's peak hp and tq at a lower rpm. It gives you the low end that the v6's badly need.

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
The swap will also make the engine reach it's peak hp and tq at a lower rpm. It gives you the low end that the v6's badly need.
so does the m90 :D

ill be doing the 4.2 swap sometime... just not anytime soon. ill just be stroking my engine rather than getting one from an f-150. torres damnit im tryin to get some business from ya! lol

·
Registered
760 Posts
i would reccomend swapping the f150 engine in because otherwise you wont have your car for a few weeks unless you are buying a seprate 3.8 to stroke.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
woah woah woah!! the 4.2 truck engine, couldnt that be stroked to like 4.6? woot?

wait wait again stroked AND bored! ?!
You should read up on some of this, so when you get your car back together you don't sound like one of those guys who has a car and doesn't know where the spark plugs are.[right chris;P?]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts