Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody running 4.30's on a n/a manual car? I have 4.10's now and am thinking of going to 4.30's. How are they on the hwy? I am also running 35 series tires out back so that makes the ratio even lower. I dont wont to get it where its not drivable.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i've thrown the idea around... 65 mph 5th gear 2500 rpm
out of first at like 25 hahahaha but you get there QUICK

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had 5.14 gears in an '68 Camaro with a small block 327 back in the day. 2 speed powerglide w/ nitrous. It was a 8 sec. street car back in highschool. Obviously a little different gear then your post suggest, but nothing I'd even consider putting on the freeway. I think 4.30's would put you close to being in that same category. Unless your planning on putting the thing on a trailer to get it to the track, it's too much.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I had 5.14 gears in an '68 Camaro with a small block 327 back in the day. 2 speed powerglide w/ nitrous. It was a 8 sec. street car back in highschool. Obviously a little different gear then your post suggest, but nothing I'd even consider putting on the freeway. I think 4.30's would put you close to being in that same category. Unless your planning on putting the thing on a trailer to get it to the track, it's too much.

If he had an Auto, I think he'd be ok though, but with a Manual Trans it would be a bitch for a street car, and he'd be constantly shifting, as i'm sure you did with your Camaro.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If he had an Auto, I think he'd be ok though, but with a Manual Trans it would be a bitch for a street car, and he'd be constantly shifting, as i'm sure you did with your Camaro.

Not really since he had a powerglide which is a 2 speed auto.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i have a gt/cs with exhaust, ive thrown around the idea of 410s or 373s, not sure which one i should get yet..hows the gas with 410s?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i have a gt/cs with exhaust, ive thrown around the idea of 410s or 373s, not sure which one i should get yet..hows the gas with 410s?

It shouldn't be too bad, unless you get on it alot, which you will deff be tempted to do with those gears. Under normal driving though, you might lose 2-3mpg with 4.10's and 1-2mpg with 3.73's. But some people say they didn't lose any, so it varies.

·
Registered
600 Posts
nice..thanks for the info..i plan on supercharging it..but thats pretty far down the road..car barely has 1500 miles on it

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
4.30's would be good... with 20"s haha. i seriously dont see why it would be that bad.. you would be in the powerband ALL the time.... its not THAT big of a step from 4.10's... i dont go barreling down the interstates fast as i can so 4.30's really would help me... combine 4.30's with a really short throw and a really tacky clutch, race car like shifts from a mustang... would be fun i think... then again i am ****ing lunatic

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
but how are the rolls if your racing on highway. i have a 2001 GT auto and i thinking about 4:30's

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
my friend has 4.56 gears and those are crazy on the street and at the strip. He gets the jump on me put I pass him towards the end. His gears die out

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
That step up is not worth the money or hassle...4:10s are plenty short for gears

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
ya but i am running an auto. i hear that 4:10's in a manual are really different that a auto. so i figure 4:30's will give me that extra edge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts