Modded Mustang Forums banner

4.30 gears

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Crazy8 
#1 ·
Is anybody running 4.30's on a n/a manual car? I have 4.10's now and am thinking of going to 4.30's. How are they on the hwy? I am also running 35 series tires out back so that makes the ratio even lower. I dont wont to get it where its not drivable.

#3 ·
i've thrown the idea around... 65 mph 5th gear 2500 rpm
out of first at like 25 hahahaha but you get there QUICK

#4 ·
I had 5.14 gears in an '68 Camaro with a small block 327 back in the day. 2 speed powerglide w/ nitrous. It was a 8 sec. street car back in highschool. Obviously a little different gear then your post suggest, but nothing I'd even consider putting on the freeway. I think 4.30's would put you close to being in that same category. Unless your planning on putting the thing on a trailer to get it to the track, it's too much.

#9 ·
i have a gt/cs with exhaust, ive thrown around the idea of 410s or 373s, not sure which one i should get yet..hows the gas with 410s?

#13 ·
nice..thanks for the info..i plan on supercharging it..but thats pretty far down the road..car barely has 1500 miles on it

#14 ·
4.30's would be good... with 20"s haha. i seriously dont see why it would be that bad.. you would be in the powerband ALL the time.... its not THAT big of a step from 4.10's... i dont go barreling down the interstates fast as i can so 4.30's really would help me... combine 4.30's with a really short throw and a really tacky clutch, race car like shifts from a mustang... would be fun i think... then again i am ****ing lunatic

#27 ·
4.30's are a great N/A gear but like was mentioned they die out sooner because you're out of your power band just as quick as you get into it. That's the downside to running monster gear ratios unless you're running a 10 speed transmission...lol...where you can always shift back into your power band time and time again. That ain't going to happen so you want to have a good balance of gearing which not only gets you to your desired rpm/speed quicker but one that will stay there the longest or as long as possible?

Sorry I know this is asked for manuals but I just wanted to say the story does change a little bit for the 5R55S which of course has one more gear than the 4R70W so these autos in the newer stangs don't have to be geared so hi to get the same effect as the 4R70W's with shorter gears. When comparing up ratios in the new stangs both the manual and the auto are pretty comparable to one another within reason vs the dismal comparing of the 4r70w's ratios as to the T-45...one more gear for starters but overall the manual can make better use of it's power band by staying in it or not dropping out of it as where the Auto has to be shifted real high so that it doesn't fall out of the power band into the next gear. Either way you look at since the ratio set-up is a wide one...hence the "W" in the transmission name...you either go past your powerband so that when you shift you stay in it after the shift or you shift in the powerband so that you don't lose ground and when the shift occurs you are out of it till you get back in to it...if that makes any sense?

There is a fine line between both shifting methods so that you can take advantage of either side of that theory. Autos really respond well to gears...they need that motivation much more than a manual needs impo!

Reactions: MikeD05GT
#28 ·
Where do you go through the traps? I had 4.10's and changed to 4.56's and now I go through the traps at the top of 4th (1:1) which is just right for my set up.

Research tire size and trans gear to make your decision; make sure that you dont do something that hurts your et!

Good luck!

#29 ·
I put 4.10's on my manual trans car and would recommend 4.30's if staying N/A based, of course, on your driving style.

I went from a 6 speed manual turbo with a narrow powerband to the Mustang, so I was already used to shifting quickly and often. The 3.31 factory rear was putting me to sleep.

Also, I drive almost 95% city so the lower gear is nice for making 1-4 more usable down low. The car definitely feels like there is a "right" gear for any speed with 4.10's. I believe the 4.30's to be fine because right now I bearly break the factory tires loose all through first and get fine traction all the way through second.

Highway driving is just fine when I do take trips with it. Four cylinder cars typically have a high rpm on the highway. Mileage is just fine. I don't get the big deal here unless its a daily occurance.

Downside = Launch. The factory rubber is no good for a hard launch and only gets worse, so price in sticky tires if you want 4.30's and 1st gear you can still lauch with. You shouldn't be doing that on the street anyway, right ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.