Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i mistakenly bought a more aggressive gear ratio than i thought i did. so now im nervous.. but does anyone have a video of a 2valve in the full quarter? on a drag radial or slick.. street tires will be horrible i knoww

· Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,392 Posts
I'd keep them if you're auto. If you're really concerned, throw on a taller tire

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a t45 stick car. stock wheels and tire size. thinking about a taller sidewall tire. and im not totally worried about going down the highway. it will more likely keep me out of speeding tickets. or from driving too much in the mustang.

· Premium Member
9,766 Posts
got em on craigslist for 50 bucks in awesome shape.. can it really be that bad? if it is maybe ill trade my buddy for his 410 outta his auto car. :facepalm:
yes they are that bad at the track in an unbuilt stick car, take them out or buy a shovel to keep in your truck on the off chance you can get it to hook up & not shift in time.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes they are that bad at the track in an unbuilt stick car, take them out or buy a shovel to keep in your truck on the off chance you can get it to hook up & not shift in time.
why would i not shift in time? and what would i be doing with a shovel? i figured a bigger tire would be the same as doing these tires with 410 or 390 gears depending on the tire of course. i mean its only .2 rotation more than a 4.10 per axle rotation.. and .4 more than 390 in a ratio thats a full 4 revs.. doing the math makes me wanna try it first.

· Premium Member
9,766 Posts
why would i not shift in time? and what would i be doing with a shovel? i figured a bigger tire would be the same as doing these tires with 410 or 390 gears depending on the tire of course. i mean its only .2 rotation more than a 4.10 per axle rotation.. and .4 more than 390 in a ratio thats a full 4 revs.. doing the math makes me wanna try it first.
with the shovel you'll be picking up the broken drivetrain parts you just dumped all over the racetrack.

the reason I'm saying you wouln't shift in time is because I know you wouln't, if you leave even conservitively (say 2500) as soon as you leave the clutch out you'll need to be ready to push it back in to go to 2nd at full throttle, clearly from your posts in this thread (& the fact you put 4.30's in a stock car to begin with) make it very obvious you don't have the experiance for that.

4.10's are even too much for a novice with a stick at the track in one of these cars, they get blown up at every event I'm at by guys who think just like your thinking (watched 6 go down last weekend alone).

but on the other hand, leave them in if you want, it will make for a good "how do I fix this blown up (insert part here) from my track mis-adventure" thread we can all laugh at.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have 28s and 410s and first gear is very short
what does it do at the trap in the quarter? and arent you supercharged? im all motor running 103 mph in the quarter. im just trying to figure out the difference between our cars and why you have your opinion. i dont mean to be stubborn, although i tend to be sometimes. im even on a stock tune

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with the shovel you'll be picking up the broken drivetrain parts you just dumped all over the racetrack.

the reason I'm saying you wouln't shift in time is because I know you wouln't, if you leave even conservitively (say 2500) as soon as you leave the clutch out you'll need to be ready to push it back in to go to 2nd at full throttle, clearly from your posts in this thread (& the fact you put 4.30's in a stock car to begin with) make it very obvious you don't have the experiance for that.

4.10's are even too much for a novice with a stick at the track in one of these cars, they get blown up at every event I'm at by guys who think just like your thinking (watched 6 go down last weekend alone).

but on the other hand, leave them in if you want, it will make for a good "how do I fix this blown up (insert part here) from my track mis-adventure" thread we can all laugh at.
so your saying im too stupid to know my car is gonna make shifting happen sooner. and if an axle breaks, an axle breaks.. easier than rebuilding my diff and installing my gears im doing right now... and im not made of money so im not gonna have much more than a stock car.. i dont really know why you just attacked me saying youd love to laugh at me. that made me feel like your an asshole. i wish you kept that last comment to yourself. otherwise yes i asked for some opinions because i am investing some time and money on a gear install kit and diff rebuild. and fluids and more importantly my time. theres no need for you to put people down for having a mostly stock car either, i had to start somewhere

· Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
havent had a full pass in the car yet

but last year with 373s and a 26 inch tire and 100 shot it traped 117mph

where jsut saying that with 430s you might as well take off in 2nd gear

· Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
so your saying im too stupid to know my car is gonna make shifting happen sooner. and if an axle breaks, an axle breaks.. easier than rebuilding my diff and installing my gears im doing right now... and im not made of money so im not gonna have much more than a stock car.. i dont really know why you just attacked me saying youd love to laugh at me. that made me feel like your an asshole. i wish you kept that last comment to yourself. otherwise yes i asked for some opinions because i am investing some time and money on a gear install kit and diff rebuild. and fluids and more importantly my time. theres no need for you to put people down for having a mostly stock car either, i had to start somewhere
i broke an axle last year and it took out the gears and carrier... jsut saying

· Premium Member
9,766 Posts
I'm not putting you down for driving a stock car, most of us start out with stock cars.

the reason I said what I did was because your not even trying to listen to those who know 'cause you think you do.

an axle will be the least of your worries, most likely you'll either over rev the motor & blow it up or blow up the trans trying to jam it into gear so fast.

as far as the shifting I'm talking about I mean it wil be instantanious, you'll leave out the clutch, the car will red line immediately & you'll have to shift faster than you think, pretty much clutch out, right back in to grab 2nd, it's hard for a pro, let alone a newby.

don't ask for advise if you have all the answers & as far as what you think of me, do you really think I give a ****? I'm just trying to help you keep from blowing your car up.

· Registered
2,584 Posts
Mine took out everything to when it broke. I would run 410 or 373. If u look long enough ur find a deal. Hell I just pick up brand new mm c/c plates n 373 ford racing gears for 200 buck both in the boxs new.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Even in my auto the 4.30's go by fast and i max about 116 in the 1/4 on a 275/30 according to my calculator. Be ready to **** fast lol

1 - 20 of 74 Posts