Modded Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
6,976 Posts
so i searched the speed calculator that floats around on here and at 6k rpm i should be running 103 on stock tires. if i run a slightly bigger tire i should be mint. and it will be savage to play on the streets
Even if you run a 26" drag radial your trap will be lower by 1-2mph because the car will hook.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Even if you run a 26" drag radial your trap will be lower by 1-2mph because the car will hook.
and that works well for me. i dont have any plans for a power adder soon, so that will be great. obviously if i had more money i would have bought the spool my gears came off of and bought axles. would have had 33 splines, but im trying to spread my cash to bills, the mustang and a hydrostream restoration. so im doing what i can. thanks for the input man:)

· Registered
4,369 Posts
so your saying im too stupid to know my car is gonna make shifting happen sooner. and if an axle breaks, an axle breaks.. easier than rebuilding my diff and installing my gears im doing right now... and im not made of money so im not gonna have much more than a stock car.. i dont really know why you just attacked me saying youd love to laugh at me. that made me feel like your an asshole. i wish you kept that last comment to yourself. otherwise yes i asked for some opinions because i am investing some time and money on a gear install kit and diff rebuild. and fluids and more importantly my time. theres no need for you to put people down for having a mostly stock car either, i had to start somewhere
If your car is stock then I say go for it with the 4.30 gears. Play hardball and floor the hell out of it with that ****.. i have 3.73 gears with a blower and I'm not breaking anything so I wouldn't be worried with 4.30 on a stockish car..

· -- Logan --
2,202 Posts
i wouldnt buy any drag radials or slicks anytime soon... because if you plan to dead hook off of a launch then your going to thrash your diff and axles. Take it kind of easy and you might even start out in 2nd while DD'ing.

I would look to invest in 31 spline axels and diff soon if you plan on being hard on it

· Registered
6,976 Posts
and that works well for me. i dont have any plans for a power adder soon, so that will be great. obviously if i had more money i would have bought the spool my gears came off of and bought axles. would have had 33 splines, but im trying to spread my cash to bills, the mustang and a hydrostream restoration. so im doing what i can. thanks for the input man:)
No sense in having a spool or 33 splines on a street car. An frpp diff and 31 splines are more than enough.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
No sense in having a spool or 33 splines on a street car. An frpp diff and 31 splines are more than enough.
id say it doesnt make a perfect street car, but it will be bulletproof, and the guy i bought my gears from has the spool already and its cheap! i just didnt wanna buy more parts right now, otherwise id have a cheap 33 sp spool also

· Registered
6,976 Posts
At your power level almost any aftermarket diff and axles can be considered bullet proof. You'll hate a spool on the street. You'll have a hard time destroying a 31 spline setup unless it was installed wrong.

· MM's Official Lab Rat!
3,316 Posts
My pops has them in his Mach 1, which is different because they make power to ~6500rpm, but it woke the car up big time
Makes sense on a Mach to throw 4.30s in it. Doesn't make sense to do it to a stock 2v. OP, you don't want opinions, you want someone to make you feel better about your decision to go with 4.30s. Casper's experience alone should catch your attention but you don't want to hear it. Good luck.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Makes sense on a Mach to throw 4.30s in it. Doesn't make sense to do it to a stock 2v. OP, you don't want opinions, you want someone to make you feel better about your decision to go with 4.30s. Casper's experience alone should catch your attention but you don't want to hear it. Good luck.
atually i was told they were 4.10s by the guy i bought it from and he swore they were.. but once i cleaned off the grease i realized i had 4.30s in my hand and i dont really want my car sitting so long so im gonna throw them in. i didnt like the way he approached his response and everyone thinks im being stubborn. sorry guys i dont have the best job and im just doing what i can to get it back on the street for next month when my buddys hit the track. its been a while since she saw the tree, and ive sone a lot of work so im dying to get it goin.. from the gt videos ive seen and the speed calculator and your opinions, ill be losing power crossing the line in 4th, better than banging limiter in 3rd. which is better than right now... some time i would like to put a fairly big cam to make up for it, i love a cammed idle.. this will give me motivation to do so

165 Posts
understanding

I have 4.10s in my 02 manual, and it keeps me awake on the street, so I cant imagine 4.30's. Should be fun. As for Casper, he is obviously a pro, and sometimes you just have to know how to take people. I understand we all have dif jobs and they can effect our attitudes, but sometimes you have to take a deep breath and step back to look at the big picture. And I also believe the more aggressive ones like Casper who have seen bad things with that set up, are really trying to protect you, but thats the only way they know how. Cant argue with the pros. Hope it helps. Keep us updated on the install track.

· !FACEPLATED!
15,975 Posts
I will be switching to 4.30s in the future. Papasmurf is also running 4.30s

· !FACEPLATED!
15,975 Posts
4.30s with 26" tires is going to screaming on the top end but can be done

· Registered
732 Posts
and thank you for helping with a few videos, i did watch that black gt lifting his wheels up. launched like a beast but i wasnt impressed with his et.. made me feel good about my old cars potential running close to his time at a higher mph already
The black car looks to have a stock or more drag oriented suspension. He also has MT drag radials. I have 4:30s in my car with bolt ons. I hated running at the track with a regular street tire. The stock gatorbacks are worthless on it. My next tire will be this tire on a 15" wheel for the track.

First gear goes by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast with 4:30s.

· Registered
3,538 Posts
aarongt2000 4.30s arent as bad as people think. I would keep them. I sent
you a pm btw.

BTW heres a video of a car with 4.30s and cams. He is running on BFG KDWs in this vid

· Registered
385 Posts
Not sure why everyone is saying your going to destroy your rear end, eventually you will but it wont be soon. my old 03 had 104k and i ran hoosier 26x9x15 QTP's on it. only thing the rear had was 4.10's. dropped the clutch at 5500 idk how many times, and i plan on doing the same thing here in about a month with the 98! but with more powaa

as for the gear debate, it prob will be too much but if your future mods support ( ie larger camS) the 4.30's theres no point in not doing it, besides who doesnt like bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd?

· Registered
1,900 Posts
The 4.30s will make the driving and racing a little bit intense, but that's what you want when your at the track, right?!?!

If I were not supercharged I'd definitely go with 4.30s and 26 inch tires.

You can always get a tuner and raise your revlimiter to say 6200 rpms, so you have wiggle room on the shifts (and at the top of 4th gear).

· Gear Jammer
189 Posts
i wanna hear more about this. fast ass time.
Since we discussed this in your pm I wont go in to it again. 60ft is pretty decent since apparently you have to shift 3 times before you get there with 4.30s:screwy:. Also, for a stupid as some say it is, alot of people have them or are going to run them in the future.:bubba:

· Gear Jammer
189 Posts
Not sure why everyone is saying your going to destroy your rear end, eventually you will but it wont be soon. my old 03 had 104k and i ran hoosier 26x9x15 QTP's on it. only thing the rear had was 4.10's. dropped the clutch at 5500 idk how many times, and i plan on doing the same thing here in about a month with the 98! but with more powaa

as for the gear debate, it prob will be too much but if your future mods support ( ie larger camS) the 4.30's theres no point in not doing it, besides who doesnt like bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd?
This is nonsense, the drag master will tell you it is impossibe to launch a manual car on a sticky tire without destroying everything.:lmao

41 - 60 of 74 Posts