Modded Mustang Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

· Registered
3,430 Posts
on street tires and 4.10's I cross over the 1/4 mile mark all but bouncing off the rev limit on 4th. without a differnt size tire you are going to run out of gear with those 4.30's.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Let me put it another way:

With a "fairly stock" car, even with slicks it's going to take you at least 1.7x to 1.8x seconds to hit the 60' cone (about where you'll be shifting into second gear with 4.30s). If someone can't execute a shift into second gear in that amount of time, maybe their driving needs a little bit of work!

It's not that freaking hard to do ...

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Let me put it another way:

With a "fairly stock" car, even with slicks it's going to take you at least 1.7x to 1.8x seconds to hit the 60' cone (about where you'll be shifting into second gear with 4.30s). If someone can't execute a shift into second gear in that amount of time, maybe their driving needs a little bit of work!

It's not that freaking hard to do ...
thanks for the support man. doing the gear swap right now, not having the tools to remove the pinion bearing is holding me back at the moment. i talked to a great guy in town at a custom bike shop about getting it pulled so i can change a shim for a better contact pattern, but he reffered me to the only guy he would trust with a high performance rear end in it.. trouble is hes open on monday-fri. so i wait till monday morning and probably drop the rear off to him for a couple days.. not how i wanted to do it, but im sure he can do a better job than me, and maybe ill be able to learn some stuff if i hang around a little

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
so friday i gott the rear end back with the diff rebuilt and the gears properly installed. i pulled outta the driveway and drove through the neighborhood and i really dont think they are so bad. thankfully we have tight streets anyway.. driving around town isnt bad at all.. so knowing my speedo was gonna be way off i brought my gps for the highway, and as expected the speedo reads 90 at 70 on the gps. i slowed it down to 65 where i was around 2500rpms. i drove to see a few buddies who knew i got the car done and went for a ride and wow does it feel good. i must have done something right with the car cuz even mashing the throttle it spins but its not too bad and even shifting hard second gear pulls right in line. i must say, no front sway bar, tubular k with drag springs, ac/heat delete, and batt relocation all do amazing work for the cars traction on my toyo proxes.. noone could believe how good the car launches. now im stoked for a run at the track

· Registered
3,538 Posts
Glad your happy! I told you youd like those 4.30s :). People freak out way to much about gears. Hell id even swap out my 4.30s for 4.56s

Reactions: Geno

· -- Logan --
2,202 Posts
found this in another thread

You have stock gears if that's accurate. But then again, you have a a fat tire. Therefore, :dunno

So, just use this barbarian chart to determine your rear gears. The smileys, listed below, seem to have a direct correlation to a persons reaction when driving. After you determine your facial expression when driving, look towards the left and the sophisticated chart will tell you what gears you have. :)

3.27= :facepalm:

3.55= :(

3.73= :cool:

4.10= :yes

4.30= :eek:

4.56= :shitbrick

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have a buddy that was running his NA 99 Cobra with 456s and a T45 stick - he ran 11.2s with that set up on 26s

this car looks sooo badass dude. and i must say, i freaking love this thing right now. the car feels like its on nitrous all the time. i finally got to see my friends new(to him) fox all stock, except x pipe and catback on his factory 3.08s, and even with my gears his car still spins about the same as mine if you bury the throttle. we took each others cars so we could hear our own exhausts, and he fell in love with the gears too. he said im putting the same gears in mine when i start building the motor. had a great weekend in the car, the only complaint is i gotta get my driveshaft balanced... thing sucks on the highway.. and i drive 55 everywhere max haha

· Registered
2 Posts
The black car in the video is my mustang. It's the density altitude causing the times to look slow. Corrected times it would have been 13.1x at 104. I have to look for the slips but 60 foot was 1.8 I think. Other bolt on gt weren't running any faster than me. It was hanging right in there with 2011 gt during time trials and that's head's up. He only had me by a car and half and I don't think he was stock

61 - 74 of 74 Posts