Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much of a difference will i see w/ 4.56 gears over 4.10s on my 7.5"?

gas mileage is of no concern to me so dont mention that aspect :D

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
A considerable difference.

However I wouldn't drive it daily.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ull see a diferance, and even tho u don't care about mpg's just keep in mind if u do a lot of high way driving that u will be seeing higher rpms, and all the efects of that.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
ull see a diferance, and even tho u don't care about mpg's just keep in mind if u do a lot of high way driving that u will be seeing higher rpms, and all the efects of that.
higher rpm doesn't necessarily mean engine wear. if he takes care of his motor it would be able ot take the extra 400 rpm all day every day like i said. its only a .4 difference guys and back in the day when gas was cheap as hell even 5.0:1 and higher gears were considered very streetable.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
If you don't have a T-Lok in that thing, good luck trying to get that one tire to hook if/when you add even a decent amount of hp mods.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess higher rpms would translate to more engine wear, but i plan on upgrading to a 4.2 for the fall(or when i finally have some spending money) anyway :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't have a T-Lok in that thing, good luck trying to get that one tire to hook if/when you add even a decent amount of hp mods.
dont worry, i already have the t-lock and itll go in w/ the gears :D

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
higher rpm doesn't necessarily mean engine wear. if he takes care of his motor it would be able ot take the extra 400 rpm all day every day like i said. its only a .4 difference guys and back in the day when gas was cheap as hell even 5.0:1 and higher gears were considered very streetable.
true if he takes car and dose proper mantnce a that will be fine, but the other thing i was geting at was we all know who these cars sound pulling higr rmps not so good, i know personaly after 10-15 min. of 3k i would be geting tierd of it and want to slow down.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Not to mention with the torque multiplication a steeper gear gives it can actually help reduce engine wear and increase fuel millage ion certain driving conditions because it takes the engine less work to get to and maintain that rpm. so yes IMO disregard SSS's opinion on not using it as a DD. if he takes care of his engine and Fuel cost is not an issue. then it will be 100% fine as a DD.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we are talking a minamal difference over 4.10 here. and like i said back in the 70's steeper gears were considered streetable and used as DD
to bad were not in the 70s!! jk

i really dont care about mpg at all so the extra rpms dont mean anything to me

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
we are talking a minamal difference over 4.10 here. and like i said back in the 70's steeper gears were considered streetable and used as DD
This isn't the seventy's, the year is 2008.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
true if he takes car and dose proper mantnce a that will be fine, but the other thing i was geting at was we all know who these cars sound pulling higr rmps not so good, i know personaly after 10-15 min. of 3k i would be geting tierd of it and want to slow down.
Im running the stock exhaust still and dont notice ne annoying exhaust note at high rpm. as long as you stick with a chambered setup u should be able to avoid the ricer tone. not compleetly but for the most part.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts