Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
steeper gerars r still very stretabul u just dont see it very oftern, my freind runs 4.73's in his 240sx.

PS> My buddy's 97 jeep has almost 500 000 kilometers on it. it has had the 5.0:1 gear set in it for 4 years now. its his DD id say he put atleast 200 000 on it since the rear end swap and gear install.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
another issue here is traction? would i be able to hook up on 275 wide nitto drag radials? or at least decently connect?

We're comparing jeeps to mustangs now...

If i was trying to climb mountains, with huge tires in a JEEP I'd want 4.56's too.!

yah so we have better runing more fuel efficent and better assembled and managed EFI engines. 4.56 is very streetable SSS. i have 4 friends who are running 5.0:1 or higher in there DD jeeps. the leading reason to not using such a steep gear for DD is strictly fuel costs.
Jeeps usually have six speeds if they are a manual, so you can get away with having a crazy steep gear since you have an extra over drive. And yeah i agree with SSSs last comment.

another issue here is traction? would i be able to hook up on 275 wide nitto drag radials? or at least decently connect?
yah as long as you have a t lock ur not going to have an issue. like i said they rnt much steeper then 4.10's and i hook up fine. now if i were to add boost that would be a different story.. but im n/a

We're comparing jeeps to mustangs now...

If i was trying to climb mountains, with huge tires in a JEEP I'd want 4.56's too.!
yah but not not the offroading that im talking about. im talking about them driving there v8 as a DD with them. yes the offroading was the reason why they bought the gear. but its his DD still.

it can be done even on a POS vehicle that was beat to hell before it got the steeper gear. its not the high rpm's u got to worry about its the poor engine care or exceeding your rpm range (running out of cam) that you have to worry about. and beleive me a stock v6 will not run out of cam with this gear set.

yah but not not the offroading that im talking about. im talking about them driving there v8 as a DD with them. yes the offroading was the reason why they bought the gear. but its his DD still.

it can be done even on a POS vehicle that was beat to hell before it got the steeper gear. its not the high rpm's u got to worry about its the poor engine care or exceeding your rpm range (running out of cam) that you have to worry about. and beleive me a stock v6 will not run out of cam with this gear set.
When did we start talking about cams?
You started comparing a JEEP to a MUSTANG.

It has nothing to do with cams. Would it be streetable yes, would it be the smartest idea in the world no, would it cause extra engine wear yes high rpms = wear.

When did we start talking about cams?
You started comparing a JEEP to a MUSTANG.

It has nothing to do with cams. Would it be streetable yes, would it be the smartest idea in the world no, would it cause extra engine wear yes high rpms = wear.
its not going to cause catastrophic failure dude. and thats they way u were coming off about it. the engine wears every time u start the thing. its inevitable. the engine will probably last him just as long as it would have with the stock gears provided he upkeeps it.

and im comparing the drive ability of the selected gears, its a good example. and also the the talk about running out of cam was on topic too. stop trying to shift the topic to try and make my comparison look illogical. its simple. 4.53 is streetable. ppl street higher gears and dont have an engine melt down. they used to do it all the time, and no he wont exceed his maximum rpm range with it so he can do this safely. will he eat fuel. yes. will he have engine failure after DD'ing it for a week not bloody likely.

its not going to cause catastrophic failure dude. and thats they way u were coming off about it. the engine wears every time u start the thing. its inevitable. the engine will probably last him just as long as it would have with the stock gears provided he upkeeps it.

and im comparing the drive ability of the selected gears, its a good example. and also the the talk about running out of cam was on topic too. stop trying to shift the topic to try and make my comparison look illogical. its simple. 4.53 is streetable. ppl street higher gears and dont have an engine melt down. they used to do it all the time, and no he wont exceed his maximum rpm range with it so he can do this safely. will he eat fuel. yes. will he have engine failure after DD'ing it for a week not bloody likely.
hell fords Cube vans still come with 4.10's stock.

When did I say it was gonna cause Engine failure?

Extra wear
and
Failure are two different things.

But whatever floats your boat... 4.56gears aren't the way I wanna "move faster" I like power.:cool:

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.