Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 gt with a 4.6 2v and a helliun turbo .It has adjustable timing gears and 1 come apart due to engine builder didn't use locktite on them .How due i adjust them

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Are you saying that you have the adustable cam gear that slipped timing? did you have any PTV clearance issues? A neighbor down the road just redone a whole motor because his adjustable cam gear did the exact same thing. My advice would be to scrap the adjustable timing gears and buy a crankshaft timing gear cause it will NEVER slip or skip timing on you. then there is a good write up on here in the sticky section on how to time camshafts.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I have a 02 gt with a 4.6 2v and a helliun turbo .It has adjustable timing gears and 1 come apart due to engine builder didn't use locktite on them .How due i adjust them
I believe that they have hex key bolts you have to loosen. Then you degree them like normal.

I think it was Nickpohl that used some aircraft grade wire to tie them off.

But personally I say toss them and get a set of Trickflow adjustable crank gears. It's not like the other adjustables, it's just a notched crank gear so it can't slip. Cheap too.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yup tfs crank gears much better.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I run the TFS crank gear, make for degreeing a lot easier. MAke sure you degree your cams again. MMR told me to install mine striaht up and they would be with in 1 degree. HA one was 6* off and the other 4* off.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Loctite is OK, Safety wire is a guarantee. This would've prevented your problem. This is my adjustable gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts