Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my friends, can you all give me some hints or tricks of the trade to help me replace the drivers side header gasket? ok, let me ask this as well, i noticed i had a nut missing on the last one towards the back of the block on the header broke off, and i see some black right behind the header where it looks like its leaking, What will it do with a small exhaust leak? i get a po174
code lately and the funny noise in my exhaust which i talked about in a different posting i did.
how hard is it to change a stud out of the 4.6 head ? it snapped off right at the edge of the header. so when i take off the header it will have a stud there, just not enough i can put a nut on.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
If you'll remove the header you should be able to get some vice grips on it and back it out...... it'll take awhile but it'll come out.

Edit: My advice is with the K member removed.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
the headers and bolts are hard to get to Im going to give you the same advice I give everyone when it comes to replacing header gaskets ETC. Remove the K member or pull the motor I realize that sounds drastic, but thats the only way to do it efficiently and do it right. For a header I would pull my motor others would frop the K member either way dont even attempt it without doing one or the other.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Like they said drop the k member, do be overwhelmed its very easy.

1. Remove wheels
2. Remove tie rod ends
3. Remove calipers
4. Place jack under a arm and remove shock bolts, let the jack down easy and remove the spring. Do both sides
5. Support the engine with a block of wood and a jack
6. Remove the 8 bolts that hold the k up and easy it down.

That's it, very simple and I hope this helps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouch, yes that does sound like allot of work, know i know why people don't mess with headers on these cars to much.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
If you end up having to drill out one of the broken bolts youll need to get an angle drill in order to get in there to them after removing the K.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
You can remove the trans mount also and drop the engine a little to gain more room

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
It's not as bad as it sounds really. It's removing a few more parts but it cuts the time in half.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts