Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad and I have been arguing back and forth the past week or so. He saws that the stock block which I do remind you has like 92k miles on it can handle full bolt on and a 100 shot thrown to it; without having to rebuild the motor. I say that this is just going to blow up the motor and I just need to save up my cash buy a MMR alumin 500 or 600 block or get a steel 302 block and work from their. Now for all of you veteran Mustang guys what do you think? I would like to prove my dad wrong cause this is my first Mustang and he has had one prior we are both Dodge boys at heart but this is what I could afford.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn.. My dad was right lol. Alright so you don't think I will need to do any sort of rebuild to the engine?

·
Registered
741 Posts
If this makes you feel alittle better. I currently have 175K miles on my 01 vert and have used nitrous for the last 8 1/2 yrs or so. I have a 125 shot as well. Just make sure you atleast get a dyno. To see what your A/F is reading. I didn't get a custom tune for like the first 4 yrs of having it. Now I will have to say. I don't use it all the time either.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The blocks themselves in our cars are pretty strong and can handle a lot of power (I've heard 800 rwhp or so).

What I think you are talking about is the shortblock (pistons, rods, crank). Those start failing once you get above 400 rwhp or so.

·
Registered
678 Posts
There is no reason if the car is set up properly and tuned properly that it wouldn't handle a 100 shot.

·
Banned
416 Posts
If you want to prove your dad wrong, so just install the nitrous and don't hookup the fuel line (assuming a wet shot). The motor should pop the first time you grab the unit. Then you can laugh at your dad's face and tell him to buy you an MMR motor, lol

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Go with the 100 shot and save for the MMR shortblock anyways.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When you say bolt ons are talking cams and some heads.

The biggest weak point in the stock block are the shitty rods.

The stock crank will take around 460 hp, mostly hear of people having a rod let go.

·
Banned
416 Posts
Negative. Bolt-ons are defined as any "go fast" parts that you can't bolt on, that doesn't touch oil or require oil. Intake/exhaust/manifold/TB, etc... Cams are lubricated with oil and thus are not considered a bolt on part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wanted to do a 100 shot for my car! but not sure if I would need a stall converter for a better shift. I have a 2001 Auto

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

The biggest weak point in the stock block are the shitty rods.

The stock crank will take around 460 hp, mostly hear of people having a rod let go.
Bolt ons are exhaust, plenum/tb, pulleys, induction.

Stock crank will handle way more than 460hp. The stock rods will handle 460hp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran low 14s in the quarter with Steeda Pulleys, BBK CAI, X-Pipe and FLowmaster 40's with 4.10 gears automatic transmission with a hell of a tunerr by the name of Chris Jones at Blow By Racing here in Florida. I want to lower my car and get Nitrous next!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright then I will just mod my current motor then lol. I was hoping to luck out and maybe get the answer of no the shortblocks sucks you will blow up your entire car (that is an exaggeration by the way) so I could prove my dad wrong lol. O well I will just build the motor I have now until I get the cash and decide its time to go big. :)

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
+1 should take it fine with a proper tune. Ive been running 400+hp for years on the stock longblock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Block will handle over 1000rwhp, the crank can hold over 600rwhp(never actually seen one break to be honest with you), pistons can handle quite a bit too as long as there is no detonation, but the rods will only hold about 400-425rwhp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts