Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here goes. I'm plaining on putting a new engine in my 07 but I'm kinda up in the air on what I want. I really like the sound of a 5.4 with a kenne bell, but would I be better off doing a 4.6 or a stroker? If I go with a 4.6 block I was going to put a supercharger on it. I guess what I'm thing to find out is their any down side besides weight about swapping in a 5.4.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What are your end goals? That info may help people help you.

When you talk a 5.4, what 5.4? There are 5.4s and then there are 5.4s.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's my fault. I'm going to be staying with 3V heads. 550 hp or so for starters, either way I go I'm going to buy a forged short block, atleast stage 2 heads, it'll be an iron block. I know I can get to 550 with a 4.6 but bigger is better right?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
if you want to go a little on the cheaper side without going to crazy with swaping a completly different engine; you can always go with a 4.6 that has a big bore stroker kit(makes it a little above 5.0L) and then get CNC heads, performance CAMS, new roller rockers, and new valve springs etc... then stick a supercharger on that bad boy and you can get above 550 with the psi at a very moderate level. Crank the psi up with a new pulley and away you go....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's where I'm having a hard time, will the extra cubes help me out any or do i just want to have something atleast 5L so i can but the new 5.0 badges on it. Has any one swapped over to the 5.4?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you only plan to stay under 700, I don't know why you'd go 5.4 vs. 4.6. Maybe someone can chime in and explain it, but heck, there are plenty of people pushing mid-600's with a built 4.6, aren't there? Now if you were going to build up a 4v 5.4 and go for 800's ala gt500 w/mammoth KB, that I could understand.

Making a decision in order to put a badge on your car doesn't make sense. Why not wait a year and see how people retrofit the coyote into the '07s? Building out your engine isn't going to be cheap when you add up everything you'll need for it.

I'd say button down your goal and work from there. If you want 600 at the rear wheels, you should be fine with the lighter 4.6. From everything I've seen, the 5.4s aren't any better until you get into the rarified air of a fully built up 4v gt500 motor. Don't mistakenly think the 5.4 is better solely because it has more displacement. It's heft will counter at least the first 100hp you put into it, maybe more.

Not trying to dissuade you, difficult projects are awesome. Just trying to counter-reason, maybe?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Efy, that's kinda something like i was looking for. The Coyote transplant was what I first wanted to do but thought it would be simplier to stay with the 3V stuff. Ok so that being said, should i just try and find a 03-04 cobra short block, buy a built short block or step up a few cubes and go with a 5.1 stroker?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ok Efy, that's kinda something like i was looking for. The Coyote transplant was what I first wanted to do but thought it would be simplier to stay with the 3V stuff. Ok so that being said, should i just try and find a 03-04 cobra short block, buy a built short block or step up a few cubes and go with a 5.1 stroker?
Those are questions beyond the limit of my knowledge. :) But the good news is there are people here who've asked those questions before. Do some searching around or wait for the weekend to wait for people far more knowledgeable than me to step in here. :D

I know for a fact there are threads on here where people have listed the cost of everything they put into building out there builds. One was strictly N/A though. Do some shopping, see what's what with kits and all the accessories (gaskets and bolts can be unexpectedly expensive...).

Good luck, and make sure you let us know which way you go when you do it! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
What is the difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 block itself? The bore on the 5.4 is the same as the 4.6 (3.552)it's just stroked from 3.54 to 4.16, I was un aware the blocks were different somehow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 block itself? The bore on the 5.4 is the same as the 4.6 (3.552)it's just stroked from 3.54 to 4.16, I was un aware the blocks were different somehow.
The deck hieght, like a 302 and 351 blocks same basic everything just one is taller

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just thought the 5.4 would be a cool factor, but seems like a 4.6 will do fine, but the reason i don't want to use my stock block is for minimal down time, that's why i'm not looking into rebuilding my block

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
why would you want a cast iron block? 550rwhp can be easily obtained with a stroker kit and an SC on your stock block
BINGO!

Weight, weight, weight!

Guys that iron block makes the 5.4 a front-heavy pig. Aluminum FTW.

Don't make me post the cheesy Top-Gear video again where the Roush stage 3 Pwns the GT500 on the track (with the non-forged 4.6 and a small little Eaton M90, I might add).

If you are staying sub-800 RWHP. Why not just do a forged stroker aluminum block? You can hit 5.0...or just do a 298 and call it good.

A good Livernois stroker short-block, or equivalent, with forced induction is going to be a sick, sick car.

There's no need to wait for a Coyote...besides, I hear the coyote may have fairly high compression which may not lend itself to forced induction as much.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I asked this same question quite a while back and a lot of the responses seemed to also point out the lack of aftermarket support for the 5.4. There isn't really a good N/A car set up, I think most if not all of the N/A 5.4 DOHC's (assuming you want DOHC) were in trucks and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any different aftermarket intakes or cams. So the best way to go with the 5.4 would be S/C....but again if you are gonna do that may as well stick with the 4.6 because there is lots more aftermarket support.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I asked this same question quite a while back and a lot of the responses seemed to also point out the lack of aftermarket support for the 5.4. There isn't really a good N/A car set up, I think most if not all of the N/A 5.4 DOHC's (assuming you want DOHC) were in trucks and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any different aftermarket intakes or cams. So the best way to go with the 5.4 would be S/C....but again if you are gonna do that may as well stick with the 4.6 because there is lots more aftermarket support.
Um what? There isn't a big aftermarket for 5.4Ls? Really? I didn't know this. I guess all of these GT500s in the 9s and 10s are just doing it on octane booster and a K&N cai from Pep Boys.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BINGO!

There's no need to wait for a Coyote...besides, I hear the coyote may have fairly high compression which may not lend itself to forced induction as much.
oh i'm sure it will be, but that doesn't mean it's not good for boost, the Eco-Boost TT V6 has got 10:1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts