Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between the 4.6 cobra motors from 1998 to 1999? there's only a 15 or so hp difference from what I know, but I am looking into another car, and 4v is the way I am going.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
There are a few major differences to note. First, part way through 98', they switched from Return-style fuel systems, to Return-less sytle.. and that carried on through 99+. Another major difference is the blocks changed from the Italian casted Teksids in the 98s, to a WAP block part way through 99. The heads, are also different between the two. The 98s wear B-heads (Twin intake port) and ALL 99+ cobras wear C-heads (Tumble port-single intake port). The intakes changed accordingly aswell. Theres more, but those are the major differences.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Goblin hit the main points. The newer 99 up stuff is better for making the most power.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Buy whichever body style you like more. You could get a good chunk of power out of the 1999 but I'd argue since it's not an 03/04 versus SN95 Cobra you should just get whichever you like the styling of more.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
goblin got the big differences, but i would liek to add onto the block, MOST 99 cobra's had a teksid block, and some had the WAP block, then most 01's had the WAP, while only some had the teksid.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
goblin got the big differences, but i would liek to add onto the block, MOST 99 cobra's had a teksid block, and some had the WAP block, then most 01's had the WAP, while only some had the teksid.
Oh.. I thought the Teksid was done after 99. Ive never heard of any 01s getting the Teksid, ive even talked to Al Pappito... he confirmed that Teksids were finished in 99. Where in 99? I have no clue.. i dont know how many of the 99s got the Teksid. I may be wrong about the 2001's though, i'll research it again and call more people. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts