Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was on the highway and downshifted to 4th and pop goes the weisle... I have some horrible knocking, really loud knocking... Im pretty sure the motor is screwed... What should I do as far as heads/cams/rotating assembly?

I have been wanting to make more power out of the car anyways so im not too upset but I am on a budget and would be looking at about 6grand for my budget... any ideas?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you guys could supply a list of materials needed for a rebuild and such that would be great!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I opened this thread hoping to see a KB under your hood due to the title lol. But, sorry to hear the bad news. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I'd give MMR a call and they'll hook you up. If funds are insufficient find a PI motor at a slavage yard or c-list. Car-part.com will search all yards in your area.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I opened this thread hoping to see a KB under your hood due to the title. If you plan on keeping the car for a lon time, I'd give MMR a call and they'll hook you up. If funds are insufficient find a PI motor at a slavage yard or c-list. Car-part.com will search all yards in your area.
:lmao

Answer? If your motor is screwed, rebuild and get it twin-screwed?

Lame pun over.

I think your approach is going to vary based on exactly what you want, what's wrong and how much you're looking to spend.

·
Registered
678 Posts
To get some ideas you can check out my build thread. I am putting together a 11.5:1 NA combo with TFS heads & intake and some very large cams from Modular Head Shop. I hope to have it together and running in about a month. The goal is low 11's or faster with a stick and no power adder.

If you want to save some money getting it back on the road check some of the articles here http://modularheadshop.com/Articles.htm for some budget build ideas.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Man that sucks, on a downshift? Sorry man.

Depending on how your block is, you might be able to get it honed and bored out. You could get MMR600 rotating assembly for like $1400. Need all new fasteners and gaskets. If the block is messed up, you could buy a MMR600 shortblock. Then youll still have some money to mess with heads/cams. Depending on how much you have to spend on gaskets/fasteners for the new motor.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you have $6k there are a world of possibilities. Find out what's wrong with your car first. That will help you make a more informed decision.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'd get an aluminum block first of all. If you're not looking to pump out a bunch of power even a WAP block will be fine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's not all that hard to achieve at all. A factory Mk8/Cobra/Mach 1 short block topped with a set of TFS heads, MHS cams, and an Edelbrock intake will make more than enough power to get in to the 11's if the car is set up properly and not use the full $6K. I'll have about $6K in parts and machine work in long block and I am hoping for low 11's or high 10's if I can get the car down to 3000 lbs with me in it.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A 3v swap with cams and intake and bolt ons, with cowl hood, gears and suspension. Put the rest of the money in the bank.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Is the rest of your car built too? For mid 11's you're going to need a good suspension setup, built trans, and built rear, especially if you're going to be racing it a good bit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No the tranny is stock... Working on the suspension set up for the car... I have heard the rear end in our cars is pretty stout as it is?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im gonna take it to a local mechanic and see how f#$%ed up it is... Can a lifter knock be pretty loud?

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Are you auto or manual? Auto you'll want a stall and a shift kit, manual you'll at least want a clutch, aluminum quadrant, and short throw shifter.

And the rears are reliable for street use but if you're going to be doing high rpm launches on sticky tires the rear is going to go sometime. You'll want to do gears as one of your first racing mods, so I'd just build the rear with a 31 spline diff and axles then.

Basically I was asking if you had a $6k budget for the motor, or if you had a $6k budget to make your car run mid-11s. If you have a few thousand to put into the suspension, trans, rear end, and tuning PLUS your $6k budget for the engine you should be able to put together a great track setup. If your budget is $6k total, that cuts down your options for the engine build quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts