Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these instructions correct. Im putting in new cams and this says to put the crank at 6o clock and make the cams perpendicular to the head with its timing marks at 12 o clock .then put the chains on and aling the marks ...some say TDC ....how do i know which in instructions are right.

How To Install Cams on your Mustang - DIY

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
You should set your crank to tdc. There is a mark on your timing cover and a mark on your crank pulley to align them. Then it's just a matter of lining up the dots on the cam gears to the dark links on your chains. There should be 2 marked links on each chain, one goes at the dot on the cam gear and the other goes at the dot on the crank pulley.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so basically,
Set TDC which is 11 o clock
Pull cover
Pull chains
Put in cams and gears.
Put chains back on with one mark lined up on the mark on the cam gear and the other mark lined up with the one on the crank sprocket .

Thanks allot. What is this 6 o clock position anyways,just curious.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
six o'clock?
:dunno
dinner time?
Yeah ahah if you read that link i posted thats what it says to do o_O . it seems easy since its an easy spot to start but im like huh atm on it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
6PM works for dinner but what about 6AM ? :tomato

The 6 o'clock is where the timing mark on the crank gear is pointing. Doesn't sound like you're pulling the timing cover so it's nothing you'll see. ;)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lmao....as long as i got the dots lined up with the marks on the gears them im good no matter what i assume. What is the purpose of starting at TDC , is it just a safety measure. Sorry for how noob i am at this ahaha.

·
Registered
876 Posts
And when thats done turn it over by hand a few times before you start it!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha alright thanks, sorry for the triple post delux.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should set your crank to tdc. There is a mark on your timing cover and a mark on your crank pulley to align them. Then it's just a matter of lining up the dots on the cam gears to the dark links on your chains. There should be 2 marked links on each chain, one goes at the dot on the cam gear and the other goes at the dot on the crank pulley.
I agree, this is a good precaution.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Are you degreeing the cams? Ive been reading alot lately, Just order cams, that the cam gears can be off several degree sometime 6-8 causing PTV issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts