Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the S197 and am curious what would be the benefit EXACTLY of swapping the 4.6L for a 5.4L or just supercharging the 4.6L. I have a 2006 Premium GT at the moment. Also while you're reading this if you could post a good link for the nav unit or anything that people have been talking about in the new GT500's that I could put in my '06. My wife agreed whatever we spend on this pregnancy I can spend the equivalent on my Stang so we'll see what work I can get done!

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
hahahaha see how that goes when you do have a baby.............

the benifit is that you will have more potential with the 5.4 liter. you should really consider your goals first though. i would be willing to bet that you won't need the 5.4 to achieve them. what are you planning on doing with your car. ie: dd, 1/4 mile racing, autocross, road track. if you want to 1/4 it how fast do you want to go and with those times will you still drive on the street as a DD

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really just aiming for 1/4 mile than anything else. And I am not the most car savvy but pal is putting a 5.4 in his '06 and I was thinking of getting the Vortech supercharger for mine, but I was looking at the specs of a 5.4L to 4.6L and it seemed to be about the same and I'm not too car savvy to know the differences so I thought I'd ask on here.

·
10,234 Posts
if you want it to stay a dd/street car also then just use the 4.6 engine. plenty of people going fast with this engine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you want it to stay a dd/street car also then just use the 4.6 engine. plenty of people going fast with this engine.
Alrighty cool, tyvm! I got the CAI with K&N Filter, new exhaust, lowered suspension and right now looking into whether the headers are stock or not. Got the car off a guy filing bankruptcy and didn't get full information on all the aftermarket work he did. Also am trying to find out if water pump is electric stock or not or w/e. Just read on another thread that it is a small increase in HP. I know what the stock headers look like but having hell of a time getting in there to check

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you are thinking about the 5.4 there is an awesome article in the mustangs and fast fords magazine it has a blue 07 stang on the front cover... extremely fast

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stock manifolds.

oh and dammit man that thing needs some attention
coolness. TYVM. I'll have to look into ordering some aftermarket fun :) if you have a personal fav Id love to hear, otherwise I'm gonna go have some fun on americanmuscle

·
10,234 Posts
favorite what. if you mean exhaust i have loudmouths & a cut in frpp xpipe. no lt's yet, but hopefully when i get back. i'll get mac lt's & xpipe. then i'll be looking at maybe using the stock mufflers i still have since the loudmouths will be obnoxious

as i tell most everyone i'll buy my parts from justin over at jpc, but shop around and have them price match it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
like I think I mentioned, not to car savvy. headers is what I was referring to and electric water pump

·
10,234 Posts
ah well imo if you want to spend the money for the best with the best gains the either get arh or kooks LT's. if you want virtually equal gains, but less money then get mac LT's. the difference is arh/kooks are stainless and macs are not stainless, but are ceramic coated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome. Good to know. I'll look into those, thanks. BTW pal and I were talking about the possibility of swapping a 4.6L for the 5.4L Ford Racing Performance Parts there is no way I can do that right now but since it's a 6 speed would it require tranny work? idk if you would know or not but can't hurt to give you a +1 ;)

·
10,234 Posts
well hope you weren't considering spending the 20k price tag from ford racing. that's pretty crazy. for that money you could absolutely destroy that stock sc'ed 5.4 engine.

sc'er 5-7k
6060 swap tranny 4k +/- depending on clutch choice.
built engine 5k
build your rear end 1-2k
suspension depends on what you want it to do

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
idk what you mean by built engine 5k but what is the increase for putting in a 6060 on a 4.6L? I have the 4.6 now and already got the 2" lowered suspension. By build rear end you mean like 4.10 racing gears or what? I was planning on supercharging, getting new some long tubes and getting 4.10's already but if there's something huge i'm missing I'd love to hear more. I didn't know increase in performance with using a 6 speed tranny over 5 speed

·
10,234 Posts
built engine is simply forged parts so you can up the boost thus upping the hp/tq

the 6060 is the trans in the gt500 and is a 6 speed. it will handle more power than your stock 5 speed. this won't give you more power, but will give you a better cruising gear for the highway.

built rear end: gears, true trac or locker differential, welded tubes (stronger).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
hmmm never heard the term 'forged'.

I was reading into the 6060 from the gt500. I might invest into getting it put in.

You are blowing my mind with some of these suggestions like welded tubes. Didn't even know they did that.

While we're at it do you prefer 4.10 or 4.30? Didn't think to go over 4.10 but was reading another thread talking about what gear they were using with the 6060.

I was looking at Ford Racing 550 HP Supercharger kit but saw someone suggest Kenne Belle. Which do you suggest? And I was looking at a tower brace to go with the S/C however. Not sure which hood I would have to get for this so I'll hold off on new hood until I have the S/C ordered.

·
10,234 Posts
forged is just the way the part is made and are much stronger than stock.

the reason you see some people using shorter (larger number) gears is because the 6060 trans has different gearing. thus having the shorter rear gears is needed compared to our stock 3650 trans.

if i were to stay n/a i would probably want 4.56's, but my car isn't a DD either. i'm not even sure i'll be able to keep the 4.10's as many people use taller (smaller number) gears with sc'ed or turbo cars.

i personally like the kenne bell and only have a edelbrock eforce because it was given to me. the ford racing is just a whipple which is absolutely a fantastic choice. you can't go wrong with either brand. my opinion on twin screw/roots style sc'ers in order: kenne bell, whipple (frpp), roush/eforce tvs (same basic thing), saleen. with any of these sc'ers you should be fine with your stock hood so if you want an aftermarket you can pretty much get whatever you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts