Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 400 c.i. motor for a 1982 Ford F-250? My friend is in desperate need of one for cheap.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
All 351's arent the same as a 400. You need a 351M block out of a truck. The only difference between the two is the 400 has a longer crank and biger bore

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would just put the 351m in it better on gas
Finding any "good" (no rebuild required) Modified is getting hader and harder to find. I wouldn't be too picky if I was looking in the wrecking yards or classifieds for a good M. As for the "better on gas" statement I have to laugh-------because you have "No replacement for displacement" in your sig:D

i was just saying its easier to find a 351.....and start there but thats for helping me out bro
White Thunder, I haven't been on this board too long and I don't know you that well, but do a little bit of research before you give out advice--or clarify your statement. By saying to find a 351 because it is easier I assume that you're referring to a Windsor--because they are easier to find than any Modified nowadays. The Windsor has a small block bellhousing bolt pattern, whereas the Modified (351 & 400) have a big block bolt pattern--making it necessary to change transmissions as well.

-Divan, as for finding a good Modified I wish I knew where one was (because it would be in my 79 Bronco). It might be easier for your friend to find a good 460 and put that in his F-250. They put those in until 97---Modifieds I believe died out in 82.

·
The Razor's Edge
4,396 Posts
Finding any "good" (no rebuild required) Modified is getting hader and harder to find. I wouldn't be too picky if I was looking in the wrecking yards or classifieds for a good M. As for the "better on gas" statement I have to laugh-------because you have "No replacement for displacement" in your sig:D

White Thunder, I haven't been on this board too long and I don't know you that well, but do a little bit of research before you give out advice--or clarify your statement. By saying to find a 351 because it is easier I assume that you're referring to a Windsor--because they are easier to find than any Modified nowadays. The Windsor has a small block bellhousing bolt pattern, whereas the Modified (351 & 400) have a big block bolt pattern--making it necessary to change transmissions as well.

-Divan, as for finding a good Modified I wish I knew where one was (because it would be in my 79 Bronco). It might be easier for your friend to find a good 460 and put that in his F-250. They put those in until 97---Modifieds I believe died out in 82.
im here to learn like most of the people....and i learn a few new things a day....thanks for not being a dick....now i know....still might be easier to find a 351W and trans......you don't see many 351M's around

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys I found a motor from another guy in my neighborhood luckily. It is a 400 he had in storage for about 5 years and it has 78,xxx miles on it. Feels good to help out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts