Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive always thought about doing this in the future. i have my org motor 289 and it would be badass to build the original engine for the car. i would like it to hit 3 goals. 1. close to 400hp crank 2. still fit in original position in the engine bay (no high rise stuff i don't want the hood modified) 3. for about $3000. could it be done n/a?

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
400hp N/A is going to big the largest hurdle. All of the others can be achieved. I'm not going to say you can't do it for $3,000 but it'll be tough, and it'll depend on what you can do yourself.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can build it with the help of my dad because i built my 302. i just don't know anything about matching heads and cams stuff like that. ive read that AFR heads and a mild cam in a 302 can produce 400hp.

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
a good friend of mine had a 400hp 289 sitting in his garage for the longest time. and it was NA. he was going to throw it in a cobra kit car.

i can ask him what all was done to it if you want.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea that would be great. specially if he'll give up specifics

i just want a wild 289 to represent the classics :D

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
what hp are you making with your 302 vinyl?

i thought you had edelbrock heads.... not 289 hi-po...

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure really. its a decent engine nothing crazy. but yea 289's are on it now the only thing edelbrock is the air cleaner and intake

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
i can build it with the help of my dad because i built my 302. i just don't know anything about matching heads and cams stuff like that. ive read that AFR heads and a mild cam in a 302 can produce 400hp.

AFRs are great heads, but that knocks out more than half your budget...lol

Matching the H/C/I is key for making hte power. Jay Allen is second to none of designing cams. You'll pay about $400 for the cam, but it's the best $400 you'll spend. He builds cams for some of the top notch indy cars, NASCAR, and offshore powerboats. You won't be disappointed.

Camshaft Innovations - Home

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats pretty cool. so he'll design a custom cam for each application?

·