Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes its asked a million times I know, but I need some clarification on exactly what needs to be done to reach the 400rwhp mark na. Some guys over in the 99-04 section are saying guys over here hit that all the time and I don't believe it without changing the compression. Am I right? I know it can be done but its terribly difficult

·
Registered
371 Posts
Too much money and not worth it to stay N/A.
I thought about doing it but in the end to much money for the power gains.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
there's definitely a few guys that have done it without upping the compression and staying on the stock short block. there's only so much you can do with the top end and even going all out on the top end will get you close if it doesn't get you there. the trick is to remove as much parasitic drag and rotating weight as possible (EWP, manual rack, UDPs, AL flywheel, AL driveshaft, lighter wheels, etc).

edit: and doing your own work will significantly cut down on the cost. removing heads is pretty easy and you can find some decent deals on used ported heads and other sweet **** now that everyone is upgrading to 5.0s (hell, i was sold some brand new 127500s not long ago for about $550). if you keep an eye on all the classifieds in the different forums, i wouldn't be surprised if you were able to do HCI for less than $2000.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
It's def doable *I hate that word* As far as cost/power ratio, not worth it. BUT, it is cool, cams, heads, tune, removing extra b/s weight.... it should get there.

101 said everything that needed to be said.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
The question isn't is it worth it to do 400hp in N/A, it is what does it take to do it... Im at 400 bhp and 340 rwhp. If you wanted 400 at the rear wheels you would need Heads and probably higher compression pistons and while you are in there you might as well turn it in to a stroker:)

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
my friend is at 358rwhp with no heads and it needs them! So heads and an eletric water pump he may see 400rwhp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
c and l website has great dyno charts that show how to make 400hp they have cams, heads, intake manifold, cai, tune, headers, x pipe, i dont remember what else there was on there

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yes its asked a million times I know, but I need some clarification on exactly what needs to be done to reach the 400rwhp mark na. Some guys over in the 99-04 section are saying guys over here hit that all the time and I don't believe it without changing the compression. Am I right? I know it can be done but its terribly difficult
I hope you got a good smog shop brotha

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would never ever ever in a million years spend more money trying to hit 400rwhp vs just slapping a blower on it. I just wanted to know cause someone in the 99-04 section was saying we do it all the time, which I didn't really believe. Thanks for all the input though guys!
Drock, I'm even considering not getting the long tubes anymore because this smog thing is scaring me l. The vortechs are carb approved though so I might just save up for a while and do that. Did you go to the knotts berry farm meet?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my friend is at 358rwhp with no heads and it needs them! So heads and an eletric water pump he may see 400rwhp.
Well I knew it was possible, I was trying to convince that guy that it'd he wayyyyyyy cheaper on these motors to go boost, not to mention easier to install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i went through the same stuff when i started. and i ended up buying a vortech supercharger kit on ebay brand new and put it on and im making 500 hp at the wheels! and only paid 3000 for the kit.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Just think of a High powered N/A car with a vortech super-charger. Wouldn't that be a low pressure high volume set up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts