Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums here and was hoping to get some opinions from those with more experience. I recently installed a set of FRPP 410 gears with all new bearings.

The original pinion had a .026 shim. My new pinion was about .002 larger than my old so it was close. However, my new motive bearing kit had a pinion bearing which was a little over .020 thicker than the old so obviously this means I would be using a smaller shim. It turned out I have ended up with NO shim at all to even get the gear pattern close. I tried shims of all thicknesses and the pattern was worse.

Right now I have a backlash of .008 and my shim thickness for the carrier match those of the stock shims (was able to use one stock shim).

My pinion has been torqued (new crush washer) to 18 in. lbs. I was told 16-28 was the range for new bearings.

The gear pattern you see in the pictures below is what I ended up with. Sorry the picture quality sucks but hopefully you can get the idea.

The drive side of the teeth looks great. The pattern is centered from heel to toe and face to flank. However, the pattern on the coast side of the teeth ended up more to the heel. I don't think the pattern runs off the edge of the teeth, it's just layed most of the pattern to the outside but it is centered from face to flank.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
.008 is fine i stand around and get drunk at the best gear shop in az, so I know my ****

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I can say this, this mod has been one major PITA. It was much more difficult than I had expected it to be. Tightening the crush washer took three of us to do. I had to use a pry bar, an 18" breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe attached to it.

It has been a learning experience and likely something I'll never do again :D

I'd rather rebuild an engine any day. I mainly did this because it was the first mod recommended by so many people for anyone looking for good accelleration.

I hope the step up from 308 to 410 gives me a good pull when taking off.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the car for a test drive this morning but only for a few blocks and was only driving for maybe 7-10 mins.

I DO have a Gear WHINE with these 410's. Is this normal? I've heard some say it is normal but some say they don't have any whine.

I didn't hear any popping sounds like teeth chipping or clutch discs (I rebuilt the trac-loc as well). Only thing different was the gear whine which starts at 30mph and up and is loud enough to hear inside the car on a rainy day.

I didn't do any hard take off since it was just a test so I can't comment on the performance feeling of it, but I did notice that even at a slow getle take off I was getting into the powerband faster and was staying in 3rd gear more when I would have normally been in 2nd.

If this is not normal what do you suppose is the problem? Backlash? If possible I would like to get rid of the gear whine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just curious if others had this problem and what they found to be the problem. I figure it was something I did or didn't do, not the gears.

I may tear into this again and recheck my pinion preload to make sure it still shows 18 inch lbs on the pinion nut.

I may also adjust my carrier backlash. It was left at .010 in the end but FORD recommends 12-15 so I'm curious if that will quiet them down some. Right now they are fairly loud. At 30+ mph they sound like there is no oil in between the ring and pinion but it has almost 3 bottles of gear oil which has the limited slip in it. Plus I drove it for a few mins and if it didn't have oil I would have damaged them for sure.

Any thoughts, particularly from past experience, would be helpful.

·