Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed their own gears?how hard is it to do?i consider myself a good backyard mechanic,should i atempt it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
long as you know how to set the backlash, then it isn't hard. more times than not, if you get FMS gears, you can just put them in and the backlash will still be dead on.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
+1 on the backlash... if you have know idea what that is or how to adjust it... i would get it done by some one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,that is very helpfull,it,s not even about the money,i really like to learn new stuff,and if i mess up then i will have to take it to a pro.

·
Registered
248 Posts
thanks,that is very helpfull,it,s not even about the money,i really like to learn new stuff,and if i mess up then i will have to take it to a pro.
I know what you mean, on most mods you can totaly screw up doing it yourself and learn a very good leson and do it right the second time around and still save money over having it done in a shop, research and give it a shot yourself. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
or have someone you know that's installed gears before and watch/learn the first time.
+1 I learned at an early age watching and helping my father and grandfather working on cars, any experiance good or bad is still a + when doing it yourself, you never know what you can accomplish till you try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have messed up a lot,sometimes it costs me more than if i had a shop do it in the first place,but i wouldn,t trade what i have learned,for the money i would have saved,what,s the worse that could happen?i have to put my tail in between my legs and tow the car to a shop?a well

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I was just curious do you do any fishing nuff? seeing that your in the land ao 100,000,000 lakes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yhea lot,s of ice fishing lol,no,lots of jet skiing though

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 I learned at an early age watching and helping my father and grandfather working on cars, any experiance good or bad is still a + when doing it yourself, you never know what you can accomplish till you try.
find a buddy that's done the install before. get him to help you with the install so you learn and get it done right the first time. saves you money and you learn. should only cost ya a case of beer or so. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
gears must be put on right!....meaning there cant be mistakes..this isnt like putting a shifter or intake..i would have a pro do it..99% of people that do there own mods..take there cars to a shop for gears

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Do you have a press? Micrometer? Dial Indicator? Slide hammer? The tools list goes on and on. Your best bet is to find someone you can throw a few bucks that has the tools and can teach you....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts