Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.. I'm working on a new project and figured i would come here for some help..

I got a 1990 notchback and am in the process of building a 427w for it
i want to keep it a street car and am going wit about a 9.5:1 CR.. so far I have the bottom end rotating assymbly, block and a set of alluminum heads. I want to turbo and my question is what is the best and a reasonable way to fuel inject? I know FAST is an awsome system but is out of my price range. I had an import before and ran megasquirt anybody doing that here? Also like i said thats as far as I have gotten on the engine so far so any advice on other engine modifications that might be needed to support?

thanks

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Blow-thru configurations actually work really nice. You'd need a specially built carburetor for boost, but its actually pretty easy to tune a BT setup. As far as EFI, if you want to go cheaper than a stand alone, consider a stock A9L computer, with an add-on chip, or piggy back. The best piggy back computer for the A9L is the Anderson Ford PMS Series 4. The controller can work in conjuction with a data logger, and will effeciently manage up to, and sometimes beyond 1000hp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet i'll prolly look more into the blow through carb idea like i said i had megasquirt before and was running it as a standalone system with coil packs and it was a wiring nightmare for me... i will be the first to admit i hate to mess with wiring :)

·
RIP Justincredible! God Speed
523 Posts
+1 on the factory A9L. With a good tuner, it will handle most engine combos.

Also...The 7th Gen DFI is a nice setup too. Only cost about $1300 for the harness, ECU, and wideband O2's.

Link....DFI 77010W - Accel-DFI Thruster EFI Engine Management System - JEGS

I can understand your issue with the Megasquirt. It is a more difficult system to learn, but Ive got a couple of buddies who have had great results with it....then again, they're both elect engineers and mega-computer geeks. lol

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
9.5:1 with boost on a 427 in a street car..can be done but why not drop it to 8.5 or at least 9 and add more boost?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
hello all.. I'm working on a new project and figured i would come here for some help..

I got a 1990 notchback and am in the process of building a 427w for it
i want to keep it a street car and am going wit about a 9.5:1 CR.. so far I have the bottom end rotating assymbly, block and a set of alluminum heads. I want to turbo and my question is what is the best and a reasonable way to fuel inject? I know FAST is an awsome system but is out of my price range. I had an import before and ran megasquirt anybody doing that here? Also like i said thats as far as I have gotten on the engine so far so any advice on other engine modifications that might be needed to support?

thanks

A 427 built right won't need a turbo in a street car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I understand it won't need... but it is not going to be a primary "stret car" it will see alot more time on the trailer going to the track than it will the street but I still want it to be a "street" car

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
^... Did you see what he said? Huh? That's means save your money and take all that money for your turbo, boost controller, downpipe, oil hoses, wastegate and all of that bore and stroke your motor and snag a good cam and port your heads if you have too.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
lol.. amen man
You guys, browse around craigslist.com for another motor. I've seen 460 big blocks go for $400.00 and they were long blocks. Hell I've seen Bronco's with 351's go for $700 out the door. I'm sure you'll find something before me as I always can't find the good deals or miss them a day late or something.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You guys, browse around craigslist.com for another motor. I've seen 460 big blocks go for $400.00 and they were long blocks. Hell I've seen Bronco's with 351's go for $700 out the door. I'm sure you'll find something before me as I always can't find the good deals or miss them a day late or something.
ehh, im going to build a 306 up. Im not so into the added weight and distribution effects of the bigger motor. Its not just added motor weight, its all adapter plates, computer problems.. Plus the 460 is a nightmare to road race with, making a quick turn turns into making a slight left and take someones house out, or even worse, a squirrel.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I understand it won't need... but it is not going to be a primary "stret car" it will see alot more time on the trailer going to the track than it will the street but I still want it to be a "street" car
Ok, so how much horsepower are you looking to make?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have a specific horse power goal, I already have started a 427 build and am some what familiar with turbo systems and love them so what the hell my CR is low enough so why not turbo... not worried about the cost of the turbo system its self, I already have a turbosmart wastegate and blow off vaulve, and nessecary components and am perfectly capable of fabricating my own pipes as I have done this before.. So like i said I really don't have a specific number in mind i'll just have to wait and see what the dyno says

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^... Did you see what he said? Huh? That's means save your money and take all that money for your turbo, boost controller, downpipe, oil hoses, wastegate and all of that bore and stroke your motor and snag a good cam and port your heads if you have too.

yes i did see what he said but did you see what I said?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I don't have a specific horse power goal, I already have started a 427 build and am some what familiar with turbo systems and love them so what the hell my CR is low enough so why not turbo... not worried about the cost of the turbo system its self, I already have a turbosmart wastegate and blow off vaulve, and nessecary components and am perfectly capable of fabricating my own pipes as I have done this before.. So like i said I really don't have a specific number in mind i'll just have to wait and see what the dyno says
You have no goals, you are just throwing parts together? Sounds like a recipe for an unfinished project.

What is your compression and what is the chamber size on your heads and the dish volume of your pistons? I have a 425 inch small block and I can't get the compression under 10:1. Makes me wonder if there was a miscalculation somewhere.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
You need to have a horsepower goal also. How else are you going to pick the proper turbo, intake, camshaft, heads, etc?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts