Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eventually i wanna build up eather a 428 cobra jet or a 427 stroker and i would like to know the pros and cons of both

just one major concern of mine is aproximatly how much power can a 428 block hold before i crack the block

thanks in advanced-tj

·
Registered
519 Posts
well the 248 if i remember is actually a big block so it will have the advantage of being able to be stroked afterwards. also ive never really heard of the avg joe cracking a big block block

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
428 is an FE motor, solid platforms, parts are very expensive for esp if you want it to haul ass.

windsor based 427 is an easier swap as its the size of a 351 and the swap stuff is everywhere. There is the stuff to swap a 428 im sure, but prob not as readily available and def gonna cost more.

Both motors are solid runners

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if i was to do it id mostlikly end up makeing my own motor mounts and ect...both builds depending on the one i do are getting a 200 shot of nos and atleast a vortech threw a carb so if that makes a diff

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I think a 429 would be easier than a 428, plus there's already kits to drop 460s in foxbodies, so all the work is done for you if you go that route (460 is just a stroked 429). Boss 429s can put out over 600hp with just a few mods (cam, carb, exhaust), I'm not sure what's special about the Boss motor, I'm assuming it's at least different heads.

That doesn't answer your question, though.

I think it depends on how you're gonna use the car. The big block is going to put at least another hundred pounds on your front end, so for a street car, I'd stick with the small block. I think the big block will make more power, though, and make it more reliably. I have NO data to back that up, so take it as you will.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the car is just to drive on occasion and beat the piss out of...its gonna be pretty much just a toy

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm with Reveren, the 429 /460 is hands down your best bet for straight line motor stupid amouts of power to be had.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
let me repraise that...it will be an drive on occasion around town beat the death out of car and occasionaly go to the track to see what it can do...but maby once or twice a year

·
Registered
18 Posts
Swap out the iron heads and intake for aluminum and you will be close in weight to the small block. Should not be enough difference in weight to have to change to stiffer springs and such in the front. I would go with the 351/427 stroker route, but I am partial to them also.

Dave

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you guys think i should do the 427 stroker?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks alot everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts