Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1991 GT with a 6 point roll cage sub frame connectors and 3.73 gears. The car has no motor or trans in it which is good cause i wanted to do a swap any way. The car is going to be driven mostly on the street and taken to the strip occasionally for some fun. I want to use a 5 speed no mater which motor. I love the 429/460 and the fact that they have 370 horse and close to 500 ftlbs stock is awesome. The con with the 429/460 is weight, causing poorer handling, and poor gas mileage. The 351W would be more practical but would require lots of parts to get the power levels to just stock 429/460 form, but they'll get better gas mileage and will be lighter as well. In your opinions which should i go with the 429/460 or a 351W.

Also does anyone have mpg ratings for their 351 or 460?

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
What is your budget? N/A or power adder? Want to do it all right the first time?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to big of a budget, I'm a college student. Dont really want to go with a power adder and i want to put the motor in and leave it in till it has to come out for a rebuild or somthing

·
Registered
393 Posts
i dont know how much they are. probably out of your range since your a college student, but roush offers some really nice 427's producing a lot of power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea those engines do look preety awesome but most definitely out of my price range. looking to build my own motor to keep the cost down. which is why i want the 429 cause i could easily get 400+ horsepower with a simple cam, carb and intake upgrade. what kind of numbers would i get with a 351 with just that

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
where did you see a stock 460 pushing 370 hp

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
build up a 351...thats what i would do....my uncle has a 351c in this 70 cougar....my dad built the engine...endlebroke intake holley carb and crane cam with long tubes and flows...thing sounds wicked and probably has close to 400horse...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i was reffering to the earlier 1968 to 1970 429's and 460's. The scj's and the cj's are hard to find but ford put many of the regular 460 and 429's in thunderbirds and lincolns and also galaxies.

Is there anyone that thinks i should go with a 351W?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the biggest issue you'll find is when/if something breaks, parts for the 351 are going to be cheaper, and easier to find. But the 460 would be dead ass sexy. stroked to 545 make like 800 horsepower naturally aspirated, that'd be hot.

Edit: How much clearance would a big block give you anyway? I thought the fox bodies could only hold small blocks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jlaw98gt in your earlier post you said that "my uncle has a 351c in this 70 cougar." A Cleveland is very different from a Windsor. The W is a small block based engine were as a C is a part of the 351M 400 family. Im not sure on all the specs, but i definetly know that they arent the same. Also why would you chose a 351?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts