Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you read MM&FF, but this month's issue has a 2v project where they made 463 flywheel hp with a stroked 2v. I'll give the cliff's notes then I have a question.

• '00 PI Motor
  • Bored 0.030 Over
  • 3.75" Stroker Crank
  • 5.0l Total Displacement
  • Flat Top Pistons
  • Trick Flow Track Heat 185 Heads (44cc) (Ported to flow 260cfm intake/215cfm exhaust)
  • Just Over 11.0:1 Compression
  • Comp Cams XE278AH
  • Trick Flow Track Heat Intake

Motor made 463 hp @ 6600 RPM and 430 lb-ft of torque @ 5000 RPM on an engine dyno.

The first thing that strikes me is that seems like it's a lot of RPMs for a stroker motor. How does that affect the longevity of it?

Second, 463 hp should be about 394 rwhp through a manual transmission. If you paired this setup with a boss block to increase total displacement to 5.3l, it should hit the "magic" 400 rwhp. They also could have used the 38cc Track Heat heads for even more compression. Not sure what that would put the compression at (someone do the math), but that should hit 400 rwhp as well.

Pretty interesting stuff....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5000 doesnt seam like that much RPM
Are 502 big block turns 7500RPM, but i guess its not a mod motor lol
They made peak hp at 6600 RPM and spun it to 6700 on the dyno. I think the reason mod motors generally can't spin as high is because of bad angles on the connecting rods.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
why does that seem like a lot of RPMs? strokers can take RPMs. The 400ci 351c in the maverick cranks out to 10k rpms and my 393 351w in my truck will go up to 7k

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
And I Jizzed in my pants...

I want.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
They made peak hp at 6600 RPM and spun it to 6700 on the dyno. I think the reason mod motors generally can't spin as high is because of bad angles on the connecting rods.
they can spin, stock mod motors cank because of the weak valve springs and danger of floating vlaves

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why does that seem like a lot of RPMs? strokers can take RPMs. The 400ci 351c in the maverick cranks out to 10k rpms and my 393 351w in my truck will go up to 7k
I suppose I was mistaken, but I thought I'd read that stroked mod motors didn't like the RPMs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Apparently my brain skipped over the whole 6600 part, my bad.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
The new 5.0's are a 4V with variable cam timing.

Very impressive on the stroked 2V though. Id like to see what that would do with the 38cc heads and some race gas.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Actually 6600 rpm to me doesn't sound to high on a properly built motor. What surprises me is that the compression isn't higher to make that power by 6600. Is the intake using the oval TB or round? I feel the TFS intake is underrated especially when used with an oval TB. A lot better than than Bullit which it resembles. Not that a Bullit is terrible, but like other Ford products there was still a good bit left on the table.

TFS improved on the Bullit by inverting the alternator probably at first to save money on needing an alternator from a Bullit. This also allowed TFS to make completely straight intake runners. It also allowed them to widen the runners, and they also shortened them a little.

I usually take magazine numbers with a grain of salt. I've seen magazines claim numbers that I have yet to see people reproduce in the real world especially when new highly anticipated products are being tested.

When Ken Bjonnes one of the original founders of Modular Depot was the first person to run 10's NA in a 4.6l 2v several years ago it was reportedly making around 370-380rwhp. He would never disclose the actual numbers. That's because he was doing a lot of research and development for Fox lake using their intakes and heads. He just told me somewhere around 370-380 when I was there getting tuned once.

So I don't see why it couldn't be done with more cubes and a what should be a lot better heads. It just seems like ever since the TFS heads cam out they would say something like TFS heads with cams made X amount of power. But they excluded that it had higher compression etc.

After you knew the whole story the heads were an inprovement over ported stock but not as much as everyone hoped and expected. So it made it harder to justify the difference in price, but I feel if someone was making a no holds barred build they would still by it. I wouldn't unless I was trying to break 850+ or something. What diffrences I would see right now is not worth an extra $1000-1400 more. If I was at the limit or ported heads then maybe.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Cool... but eh :dunno just isn't that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually 6600 rpm to me doesn't sound to high on a properly built motor. What surprises me is that the compression isn't higher to make that power by 6600. Is the intake using the oval TB or round? I feel the TFS intake is underrated especially when used with an oval TB. A lot better than than Bullit which it resembles. Not that a Bullit is terrible, but like other Ford products there was still a good bit left on the table.
They used a round 75mm accufab. Their reasoning was that they are planning to put boost to it in the future.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
They used a round 75mm accufab. Their reasoning was that they are planning to put boost to it in the future.
Well then I would want the oval even more then. Even a Stock Cobra TB will out flow any 75mm TB

Maybe I missed it, is that 463 with any accessories?
Good call.

That's another thing TFS was doing when testing which would probaly add 20-25 hp compared to a engine without them at that level.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe I missed it, is that 463 with any accessories?
They don't specifically say, but there's no accessory belt installed in the picture of it on the dyno. I would assume no.

Well then I would want the oval even more then. Even a Stock Cobra TB will out flow any 75mm TB.
Yeah. Not sure what they were thinking on that unless they just didn't want to have to fab a pipe to fit the oval TB.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
oval might not be needed, if the 75mm tb flows enough to supply all the air that motor needs. Might be properly matched.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Boosting an 11:1 compression motor? Race fuel only, I guess?

Bobnasty has an N/A 5.3 setup w/ TFS heads and high compression. He's getting it dyno'd next month. We'll see how much over the "magic" 400whp number that gets.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts