Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to finish my 4cyl conversion and it wont start... not even cranking over... im getting spark to the starter solenoid i know for sure but nothing cranks... any ideas?

·
Registered
142 Posts
auto or manual?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you check you neutral safety switch? Is starter good? Ground?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The ground on the starter relay harness. The main ground on block. Did you try yo cross over solenoid?

·
Registered
142 Posts
let me see if i can find one

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry no pic some where near the battery there should be a little single black wire that has a quick disconnect style harness connector. That is what grounds the ignition.

·
Registered
142 Posts
pull the small push on connector (small red/blue wire) off the starter solenoid (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To jump the solenoid use a jumper from the big terminal (from the battery) to the little terminal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well my ground might be bad because i did a battery trunk relocate and i grounded to the body... what do you think?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Def a possabilty

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i also have a 3g alt... and i did it the with out the new harness just cut my old one... is there wires that should ground from the alternator or not?

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is one ground which runs off that harness not positive if thats the one

·
Registered
69 Posts
You say you have a ground from the battery to the body but do you have a ground from the frame to the block or to one of the starter bolts? These cables should be large gauge just like the pos. cable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You say you have a ground from the battery to the body but do you have a ground from the frame to the block or to one of the starter bolts? These cables should be large gauge just like the pos. cable.
i made a small ground and she fired but burnt out the 10G wire... my heart is pumping so hard right now... good call on that! now i need to find my keys and i could go buy a cable

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Joe, understand that whether the battery is under the hood or in the trunk, the engine must have a high current ground for the starter motor. Without a big cable from the battery to the engine (or from engine to frame then frame to battery) the current will find it's own ground. Maybe through the throttle cable, speedo cable or shifter and driveshaft. Therefore if you find that the gas pedal or shifter is hard to move, there way have been some arcing inside those cable housings. Hopefully everything is fine and you'll be on the road soon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Joe, understand that whether the battery is under the hood or in the trunk, the engine must have a high current ground for the starter motor. Without a big cable from the battery to the engine (or from engine to frame then frame to battery) the current will find it's own ground. Maybe through the throttle cable, speedo cable or shifter and driveshaft. Therefore if you find that the gas pedal or shifter is hard to move, there way have been some arcing inside those cable housings. Hopefully everything is fine and you'll be on the road soon.
well i grounded the cable and went to start it and it has trouble starting and at idle... thought it might be the gas then went to start it again and i was told a "spark" came from the right side of the engine bay! ( passenger side ) and now it wont start! just the same clicking sound, this is frustrating!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts