Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $4k to spend on motor but i'am on matchin part ups. I have a rebuilt block with Gt40 heads. I like 400wrhp or maybe to the just to the crank but i like to drive it on the highway to Rice killer meets. So highway friend, so plz help me i have the knowledge of putting it together thats it.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
what was it someone said the other day? "If you cant build it boost it?" :tomato :tomato :eek: :tomato :tomato

Wasn't me! I want to eventually turbo my 347. I need to get back to work on it someday!

With 4 grand I wouldnt try to go NA you are going to be to close, and have nothing left over for suspension. I would find a used Vortech like mentioned above and hopefully have enough left for suspension. HP is great but it is worthless if you can hook. With GT40's, a Vortech and some suspension and tires that would be a pretty nice setup IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is was I have and i think when it was carburated it put out more power, before i swapped to F.I.

302 bored .03
decked (the pistons come out of the bore slightly )
flat top pistons, 1.605 compression height, +2cc valve reliefs
.041 head gasket
64cc svo gt-40 aluminum heads 1.94e 1.65i (i think i am going to have them milled for higher compression)
Trickflow stage 2 roller cam .562"/289dur.
carburated: steath intake, 670cfm holley
S.F.I: typhoon intake, 70MM throttle body, 75mm MAF, 24lb/hr injectors(untuned)
tell me what you think as far as power output
potential for 400hp?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
This is was I have and i think when it was carburated it put out more power, before i swapped to F.I.

302 bored .03
decked (the pistons come out of the bore slightly )
flat top pistons, 1.605 compression height, +2cc valve reliefs
.041 head gasket
64cc svo gt-40 aluminum heads 1.94e 1.65i (i think i am going to have them milled for higher compression)
Trickflow stage 2 roller cam .562"/289dur.
carburated: steath intake, 670cfm holley
S.F.I: typhoon intake, 70MM throttle body, 75mm MAF, 24lb/hr injectors(untuned)
tell me what you think as far as power output
potential for 400hp?
Not at all lol.

And idk about 4g's tapping out an n/a built. Custom cam, nice intake, and tfs heads, wouldn't bring you that close even after you buy rockers, pushrods, and lifters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well please enlighten me on what you would do, obviously you have built lots of motors and know exactly what hp should be and how much i should mill the heads down and reduce my combustion champer and deck my block even more to get horsepower. What would you do to get 400hp out of an N/A 302 without stroking it, and since i'm amusing to you, you must have built tons of 302's in your long life. Originally I thought joining a mustang forum would result in people sharing their thoughts and learning from each other but now i'm seeing another story. LOL someone else bubba

·
Registered
14 Posts
275whp I asume is considering that I have kept my compression the same but I have substantially decreased the Piston to deck clearance by decking the block and opting for pistons with a taller compression height vs. a stock piston or cheap aftermarket piston. I believe stock compression is 8.8? From what i've seen on carburated 302's with single plain intakes and similar setup including a higher compression than stock, these crate motors produce 380-400 bhp, and wrap in the 6500rpm range. I have around 2000 invested in my set up, and that includes ARP bolts, FRP roller lifters, and roller rockers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Screw that just build a 351w stroker (393). Make "flattus" happy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I spent 2 grand on a lot of good potential. I am serious about wanting to know where the 275whp comes from. Have you built a motor like this or seen dyno's on a similar build. The reason I am asking is because I have seen 5.0's with heads, cam, and intake hitting 275 to 300whp, but that is with stock compression. I am running an engine with 10 or more, and have seen dyno charts for similar setups running close to 400bhp, but these have been carbed 302's. Again where do you pull 275whp from? dyno charts, knowledge or opinion? Give me profe, so I can learn

·
Registered
14 Posts
2 grand may be pushing it. 400 for machining, and I bought a lot of engine parts, heads, cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, block, carb, manifold, headers, msd, new t5z, new 8.8 3.73, andposi, wheels, aluminum radiator, tons of little parts and a torqued 84 ttop all for 1700.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
You have a bad cam, a bad intake, and some mediocre aluminum heads. Go dyno your car and see... idk what carbed has to do with it. Thats not rediculous compression either. Go dyno it so we can dyno race some more. And the 2000 dollars was what you said buddy.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
24lb injectors don't support 400 hp n/a or boosted.. at 85% duty cycle they support max of 326hp.

here
Injector HP ratings: divide flow rating by.5 and multiply the result by the number of injectors. This uses a 100% duty cycle. These ratings are for naturally aspirated engines.

Example:
19/.5 = 38, 38 x 8 = 304 HP
24/.5 = 48, 48 x 8 = 384 HP
30/.5 = 60, 60 x 8 = 480 HP
36/.5 = 72, 72 x 8 = 576 HP
42/.5 = 84, 84 x 8 = 672 HP

The preferred duty cycle is about 85% maximum, so for a safety factor multiply the final figure times .85.

304 HP x .85 = 258 HP
385 HP x .85 = 326 HP
480 HP x .85 = 408 HP
576 HP x .85 = 490 HP
672 HP x .85 = 571 HP

Remember that the above ratings are at 39 PSI. Increasing the pressure will effectively increase the flow rating. Example: a 19 lb injector will flow 24 lbs at 63 PSI, and a 24 lb injector will flow 30 lbs at 63 PSI.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.