Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to be cheap with a 4v build, I would leave cams alone, but I read somewhere about someone mixing up mark8 cams and 03/04 cams for more power. Is there anything backing that? What are options for mixing cams for a boosted motor?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
people are mixing the 96-98 cobra intake cams on the other 4v's, their intake cams are the more aggressive.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the cams in the cobra the same as what would be found in a mark8? how much more are people getting from the swap?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, every direction I look, it seems one motor is listed as both, and all I can see is an intake difference. mark8 cams = junk to me then? Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, im just trying to figure out plenty of details before I start throwing money around. Seems half of what I do with my car involves throwing money first, then reading, and I end up spending more because I didn't do my homework.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
4v build=big money. trust me, been there done that. Everthing is expensive and most of the time hard to find.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
The 96-98 Cobra intake cams are good for 10-15rwhp over the 03/04 cams. There have been some people report 20hp gains but those are few and far between. Definitely not a bad buy for an 03/04 4V looking for a decent gain with little to spend. No springs or anything else needed either. It's a direct swap.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if im unable to find a set of cobra cams, are there any other alternatives/combos?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Without spending big money not really. You're looking at a minimum of $800 for the FR500 Cams/Valvetrain and over $1100 for a set of aftermarket 4V cams and that's not including springs and other things needed to install them. I have a set of Cobra cams that I was going to put in my car, but decided to go another route. If you're interested let me know or SWEET2kSTANG since he actually has them right now.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I say just bite the bullet and buy a set of aftermarket cams, vales, springs, and reatiners. You'll get the greatest gains from them. Just my .02 cents....

·
Registered
118 Posts
how much is the average cam job on a mach? jw cause im getting a mach in spring

·
Registered
118 Posts
both... cause i wouldnt trust myself doing it

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
cams will run you 500-1k depending on what you get and the labor I have no idea, only 2-3 people have and will ever lay a hand on my baby.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, this motor is already looking like it will be fairly costly. I don't feel that it is worth it for me to go out of my way for cams. If I find a set of cobra cams that will be awesome, but if not I can go without.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well im going to end up with C heads, if I find a set of 96-98 cobra cams, awesome, if not ill live.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts