Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking into getting some 4V cams, lots of people say not to go with Comp or Crower cams. What other brands should i be looking into i have 04 Mach 1 engine with headers tune intake, i was looking for some cams with a rough lopey idle that make decent power and springs to go with it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We need a bit more info. Do you ever plan on going F/I or staying N/A?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
I've not heard of anything bad with Comps or Crowers. A custom grind cam will always give more power than an off the shelf. The problem is most cams will extend your RPM range and our intakes are the Achilles heel of our motors and don't allow for much power to be gained once you get close to 7k.

Also, UDPs on these motors have been linked to oil pump failures on high revving motors. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not heard of anything bad with Comps or Crowers. A custom grind cam will always give more power than an off the shelf. The problem is most cams will extend your RPM range and our intakes are the Achilles heel of our motors and don't allow for much power to be gained once you get close to 7k.

Also, UDPs on these motors have been linked to oil pump failures on high revving motors. Just some food for thought.
what kind of cams an springs do you have, what if i have the intake ported and tell me more abot udp issues???

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
You need more than a ported intake, you need to have the runners shortened. And the problem with the under drive pulleys is they transmit more vibrations, and our oil pump gears dont take well to vibrations. If you spend time in the upper RPMs with under drive pulleys then you run the risk of breaking the gears. You can replace the gears with stronger ones, but a good way to avoid problems is to just keep the crank pulley stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need more than a ported intake, you need to have the runners shortened. And the problem with the under drive pulleys is they transmit more vibrations, and our oil pump gears dont take well to vibrations. If you spend time in the upper RPMs with under drive pulleys then you run the risk of breaking the gears. You can replace the gears with stronger ones, but a good way to avoid problems is to just keep the crank pulley stock.
were can i find some stock pulleys id even trade them my Steeda u/d ones

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
I have the FR500 springs/valves/cams.

·
Registered
424 Posts
sn95 cobra cams would be cheapest...

off the shelf cams will cost 1500 with springs, etc, and will net you ~25 hp

if you want lope, get a big block

if you are going to do UDP's, do it right

ATI underdriven ballancer and larger diameter water pump.

Don't get some piggyback bs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sn95 cobra cams would be cheapest...

off the shelf cams will cost 1500 with springs, etc, and will net you ~25 hp

if you want lope, get a big block

if you are going to do UDP's, do it right

ATI underdriven balancer and larger diameter water pump.

Don't get some piggyback bs.
Steedas are not the piggy back style, balancer is built into the crank pulley but thats beside the point i already have them im looking to put the stock ones back on, what do you mean sn95 cobra cams??? and this isn't about hp i want a nice lopey cam at idle and a BBF is not the answer

·
Registered
424 Posts
sn95 cobra cams were alot "bigger" than other cobras (except cobra R I believe)

All you need are the intake cams. Degree them, and you will be able to make some very decent power for ~$100

Degreeing the cams will make sure the cams are set up at the ideal centerline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im leaning towards Comps XE-R series #106400 is this to much cam for stock 3.27:1 gears or can i make do until i change it??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
106400 will be horrible, even if you degree them.

106100 will be your best bet.
why will it be so bad i also liked the #106460 have old nitous kit was gonna hook up soon. is it just because the gears it will be bad or something else

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
106400s are way too much cam for even a 4.56 geard combo. You want no morer than 220 [email protected] intake duration and you also want the intake lobe center to be low, around 106. None of the off the shelf grinds will work great with stock gears (LSAs are too wide and/or the durations are too long).

The Comp 106100s are the most aggressive you wanna go.

Get some damn gear in that car!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
why will it be so bad i also liked the #106460 have old nitous kit was gonna hook up soon. is it just because the gears it will be bad or something else
No mid range power and combined with your stock rearend gears the car would be a pig to drive.

Any cams with over 230 degrees duration are too much for a low RPM, stock intake'd 4v.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was looking at cams, too. About How much would custom cams cost me?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts