Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating where I want to go with my car right now... I either want to go with a straight 4v cobra swap and put a twinscrew on or upgrade the internals to handle atleast 20 psi and put a twin screw on.

I figure that going with the 2v I can always change over to a 4v but the thing I just don't is i don't know the capabilities of a 2v with forged internals.

How hard would it be to get it running 400-500 hp?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
It will be much easier to obtain your power levels with the 4V. The 2V heads do not flow air well at all meaning that it is hard to get a lot of power out of a 2V. It will be much cheaper for you to just swap to a 4V. I personally would like the bragging rights you would get with a 500HP 2V rather than a 500HP 4V!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think I'd be able to get a complete 4v between 2-5k? Any idea where to get one...

Which would make the build roughly 8-10k itself after the supercharger. No tranny swap btw... wanna keep the auto, no reason to do tranny and engine swap unless I can buy a wrecked cobra for cheap as all hell.

Anyways... on the 2v side... what what I need internally to run 20+ psi

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nvm... looked up some articles... apparently with the twin screw that kenne bell has, I could get around 500 hp at 14 psi or so with 100 octane gas...
or around 433 hp with 9 psi and 91 octane gas

kit costs 5k

sounds good for me... it'll be a daily driver too... so I don't want to go too overboard with it. Pry keep it at like 6 psi daily... 9 psi for street races and 12 psi track.

the thing is though idk at what hp the internals will break at. I know I won't be pushing the full 15 psi for 500 hp... like I said... pry 12 psi tops... would I even have to worry about internals at 12?

·
Registered
962 Posts
if your going 4v, go for the 03-04 cobra motor, they are built for boost, and can get close to 500 hp with boltons... just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
285 Posts
like matt said, bigger easier numbers with 4v, but if you've got the money its great bragging rights to say "its only a 2v"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get the money.... probably in about 5-10 months or so... but unless I can find a cheap 4v I'll probably stay with the 2

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would cobra pistons and rods work in the gt alright? are they any different other than they're forged?

Also, for boost does anyone know the max range of cobra rods and pistons?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
To have a 500 HP 2V that is safe to drive on the streets everyday I would plan on at least 12 grand if not more! And if your building a new motor use forged stuff from like manley, manle, etc. The cobras are not forged until 03-04. So if you want those rods and pistons go for it, but not other cobras! And the 03-04 internals can stand to about 800 hp!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be driving 500 hp daily... I could only imagine the damn problems with that... nah... I'm mostly going to stay down near the 6-8 psi range. Nothing majorly powerful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts